What the heck is this

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Taritus, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Taritus

TaritusValued MemberMember

Got new mystery snails and I saw this lump on one of their shells and assumed it was a baby since the tank they came from had babies however when I put it in the tank this happened ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1467580558.680716.jpg and then it separated from the snail
    I grabbed it when tweezers and moved it to the sink
    What is it

2. mg13

mg13Well Known MemberMember

3. Mom2some

Mom2someWell Known MemberMember

Bithimala? The long thing could be a snails siphon tube thing which they get air with ... But it would not detach.

4. mg13

mg13Well Known MemberMember

It could be a leech.

5. OP
    OP
    Taritus

Not tube it detached and moved around until I grabbed it and I got them at petco

6. Bithimala

BithimalaFishlore VIPMember

Nope, definitely not the tube, not from the outside, back of the snail and not if it doesn't stay attached. Definitely something I would suggest getting out of the tank until there's more about what it is... Any chance better pics are available of it? Maybe a baby loach of some sort?

7. OP
    OP
    Taritus

No I flushed it I wasn't chancing it getting on a fish
    It inched along kinda was real creepy

8. Bijou88

Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

I don't have a clue what that is, it is pretty creepy though :/

9. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

It is a leech. They often hitch rides on snails, gets them to other places with minimal effort, and snails attract fish, so it's a win-win for the leech.

Usually they are found on snails that were raised outside, so getting it on a snail from a store is odd.

10. Lady Monster

Lady MonsterWell Known MemberMember

That's creepy!!! It would be enough for me to set up a small QT. Id imagine whoever they are getting snails from must breed them outdoors. Maybe let the store know that there was a leech on your snail and they should probably check their stock for others

11. Koniucha

KoniuchaValued MemberMember

Is the snail ok?

12. OP
    OP
    Taritus

Yea the snail is just fine Infact it's mating right now I believe so better then fine lol

13. Platylover

PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

The snail realised how short life really is... Haha, I've been following this thread, I would have been so freaked out and would have either kept it in a container or burned it haha.

14. OP
    OP
    Taritus

Yea it was really creepy

15. Aquarium Saturation

Aquarium SaturationValued MemberMember

Yuck!!

16. Lady Monster

Maybe they just hitch hike and don't hurt the shell?

17. OP
    OP
    Taritus

That's what I'm assuming but I killed it couldn't risk it latching onto fish

18. Lady Monster

Oh definitely! I think they probably use the snails to get to the fish. Hopefully there are no more in your tank.

19. OP
    OP
    Taritus

He was the only one I saw however I do know some fish eat leeches

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice