What the heck is killing us?

MzMolly65

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I'd really love to hear them now please.

My last 4 adults all died. Slowly become lethargic, stop eating, color drains and they go.

Out of 5 new fry, there is:

one missing and presumed dead
one looks like he's dying (not eating, lethargic, hiding in the eddies)
3 still active but one of them looks as if he's eating but if I watch him closely he's spitting everything out so I don't think he's really eating much if any

Tank info is just updated. No idea what's killing my WCMM and if these fry all die I'm letting this tank go fish empty and I'll just keep it for the shrimp, who all seem to be thriving and huge even if they're not reproducing.

MzMolly65

Which ones are dying and is there any ammonia or Nitrite levels??

All the info is either in my post or in my tank profile.

Ashley45

Ok all I see is the Nitrate Level so I am assuming that the other levels are at 0? Your 8 gallon shouldn't be overstocked with just the WCMM and some shrimp and a snail but smaller tanks can change levels faster than large ones has the food been crushed up very very very small for the fry to eat? Maybe they aren't able to get any food ???

Well now I reread... I have a tendancy to speed read (sorry!!) LOL I see that they are eating just not keeping the food in... Hmm... I will see what I can think of... although by then somebody may post something that could be going on

Last edited:

Mermaid77

Fish tuberculosis? I hope not. But this sounds kind of like it. It is not the same mycobacterium as human tb. But they are related. It can cause fish to fade away like that. They don't always develop curved spines.

MzMolly65

Fish tuberculosis?

Thanks for the thought. I did some reading and the only symptoms they would have to match is colour loss. They don't waste away, no lesions and no skeletal deformities.

They are gone so quick there's no wasting. Usually a day or two after the symtoms begin they're gone.

It's so disturbing.

Mermaid77

Good. I definitely hope that is not it. Probably the most difficult of all fish ailments to deal with.

Ashley45

Ok this may be the most duh question ever but are they getting enough oxygen???

Mermaid77

That is a good question, but if a fish needs oxygen they will usually gasp and gulp at the surface in a very noticeable way. At least in the beginning.

MzMolly65

Ok this may be the most duh question ever but are they getting enough oxygen???

It's not that. They're not showing any signs of O2 deprivation. The filter works great, the plants are covered in pearls.

FWIW, I found the MIA fry and yes, it was dead as I suspected. *sighs*

The biggest fry is acting as if it would like to spawn. I'm assuming it's a female since it has a large belly .. "she" swims up beside the other fry (that look like males to me because they are very slender build), displays her fins and swims down to the bottom .. then back up again. The other fry have no interest in this behaviour.

I think she's too small to spawn but none of my research is telling me at what age they start spawning. She's maybe 3/4" now. She's very active, and colourful, darting all over the tank, eats a lot.

The others are not like this at all. They "hover" more than they swim. Two, near the bottom, the weakest one "resting" on top of the filter (below the water)

:-[

Ashley45

I'm stumped... I will keep thinking and researching to try to help you out tho!

MzMolly65

... and now there are two. :-[

The weakest one died last night. One MIA this morning, presumed dead.

The active one is still darting around and eating. The other one left alive didn't eat this morning and I suspect it will be gone by this afternoon, like the others.

Danni

Columnaris kills that quickly and your symptoms match other than a white film on the fish- sometimes you see that sometimes you don't.

MzMolly65

Columnaris kills that quickly and your symptoms match other than a white film on the fish- sometimes you see that sometimes you don't.

Thanks DannI .. I looked up that one and read everything. There's a whole host of symptoms that my fish don't have compared to that.

I just got home from TaI ChI and I'm down to one now. She's still boinking around the tank as if nothing's wrong and hasn't noticed that her tank mates all died within a few days of each other.

:;b

I'm going to wait and see what happens with her. If she lives, fine .. if she dies too then I'm just leaving this tank to the crustaceans because I have no idea what's causing this and I'm not going to add more fish just to keep losing them.

.. and to add insult to injury .. I just did a water test and my nitrAtes are 0 for the first time ever .. sheesh. Perfect water conditions and fish still dropping like flies.

Last edited:

MzMolly65

Well .. I think it's a miracle. Two of the MIA fish are not MIA any longer. Presumed dead, they must have just been hiding very well because I couldn't find them at all when I hunted.

Now that they're out they are staying together in a calm eddy under the filter AND I saw them both eat this morning which thrilled me.

Crazy fish is growing bigger and bigger and is still tearing up the joint. These two are still very small and haven't grown at all but their colour is back and they're eating so I'm watching carefully to see if they pull through or not.

Mermaid77

Very good news! I hope they will continue improving.

Top Bottom