Question What tetra species ?

Latrell

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Okay I had these specific tetras for over 6 months now. When I bought them I remember I saw the label of the tank they were in labeled as Buenos Aires tetra. So I assume they were for 2-3 months bc at the time they were small ... and now that I look at them more closely they’re definitely not B.A tetras. I recently research them and I couldn’t find anything similar to them.
But I think I have about half females half males .
most likely the males is the ones with the red on the tail fin and the females barely has or doesn’t have and red on their tail fins.
That’s what I know of about them so far so my question is what exact tetra species or species morph are they?
sorry in advance but they’re very hard to catch when I tried to give them away to a friend and to take pictures of them....Lmfaoo
The first picture is a potential male and the second picture is a potential female on the left side and in the back.
-last thing I’ve seen them fight for dominance and have a little mating ritual.
I have a school of 6.

Attachments

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm not even sure they're tetras. The first picture looks like it might be (lemon tetra maybe?), but the second one looks to me like it could be a danio. Hopefully someone else more experienced will be able to give you a good answer.

OP
Latrell

Latrell

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
JettsPapa said:
I'm not even sure they're tetras. The first picture looks like it might be (lemon tetra maybe?), but the second one looks to me like it could be a danio. Hopefully someone else more experienced will be able to give you a good answer.
In the second pic that was one of my danios which darted into the picture lol

OP
Latrell

Latrell

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
SnookusFish said:
I think those are silvertip tetras
It’s not silver tip tetras I looked into it and I manage to call up the Lfs about the type of tetra and the estimate date I got them. They told me they are rare fire fin tetras hyphessobrycon igneus.
Hard to come by and I litterally bought them by chance ,I was very lucky.

OP
Latrell

Latrell

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
flyinGourami said:
They do look like silvertip tetras.
They both look very similar and my tetra is not that yellowish tinted(silver tip) they’re more on the grayish tint like the (fire fin).

Attachments

SnookusFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Fair enough. Thats a nice rare buy you got. You should try to breed them

OP
Latrell

Latrell

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
SnookusFish said:
Fair enough. Thats a nice rare buy you got. You should try to breed them
I was thinking about breeding them but there’s not that much info on them but since they’re related to some commonly kept tetras ,so the breeding requirements should be similar.

SnookusFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Latrell said:
I was thinking about breeding them but there’s not that much info on them but since they’re related to some commonly kept tetras ,so the breeding requirements should be similar.
Just mimic their wild water paramaters and then they should be the same as any tetra. It would be fun and u could write an article. Where are they from?

OP
Latrell

Latrell

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
SnookusFish said:
Just mimic their wild water paramaters and then they should be the same as any tetra. It would be fun and u could write an article. Where are they from?
South America, Firefin tetras are found in the Rio Parana, Argentina.
Creds ( ).

SnookusFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok, i would keep their tank at about 24°C/75°F. Ph 7 seems good. I looked up a chemical water paramaters report. Then collect a load of rainwater. Enough to fill half your tank. (Or use DI/RO water)Make the temp of the rainwater lower than the tank water, about 20°C. Either move them to a spawning tank or keep them in the same one. Make sure the bottom of the tank is just dense plants otherwise you will have to seperate them into pairs. Make sure it is only the tetras in the tank. A good think to cover the bottom is java moss or susswatertang. Since you have them in a community tank i would use a seperate tank, or even a tub you have with no filter needed.so feed them in the community tank for a couple days to condition them, feed them live baby brine shrimp or live daphnia. You can sex them, a female will get clearly rounder, especially from above. Males will stay as a staight fish. Pick your pair and fill a tub half with tank water around 24°C. Put a load of java moss on the base and it helps if you add floating plants. Do this at night time by the way. Then slowly fill it up with the rainwater wuth all lights off. Wrap it in a towel to keep it dark and temperature stable. The next morning slowly uncover it but keep it really dimly lit. Just use ambient light. You should see them spawn after a while. If not, adjust lighting. It might take you a few goes until you find a fertile pair but probabaly not since these are likely wild caught.
I'll link a video of how I breed neon tetras, it might help. However wild caughts will be more difficult so follow what i said above.
Good luck! keep me updated!

OP
Latrell

Latrell

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
SnookusFish said:
Ok, i would keep their tank at about 24°C/75°F. Ph 7 seems good. I looked up a chemical water paramaters report. Then collect a load of rainwater. Enough to fill half your tank. (Or use DI/RO water)Make the temp of the rainwater lower than the tank water, about 20°C. Either move them to a spawning tank or keep them in the same one. Make sure the bottom of the tank is just dense plants otherwise you will have to seperate them into pairs. Make sure it is only the tetras in the tank. A good think to cover the bottom is java moss or susswatertang. Since you have them in a community tank i would use a seperate tank, or even a tub you have with no filter needed.so feed them in the community tank for a couple days to condition them, feed them live baby brine shrimp or live daphnia. You can sex them, a female will get clearly rounder, especially from above. Males will stay as a staight fish. Pick your pair and fill a tub half with tank water around 24°C. Put a load of java moss on the base and it helps if you add floating plants. Do this at night time by the way. Then slowly fill it up with the rainwater wuth all lights off. Wrap it in a towel to keep it dark and temperature stable. The next morning slowly uncover it but keep it really dimly lit. Just use ambient light. You should see them spawn after a while. If not, adjust lighting. It might take you a few goes until you find a fertile pair but probabaly not since these are likely wild caught.
I'll link a video of how I breed neon tetras, it might help. However wild caughts will be more difficult so follow what i said above.
Good luck! keep me updated!
Thanks a lot I’ll use your advice and start breeding them when I have a tank available atm I have bns pleco and molly fry growing in a 5gal ...soon upgrade to a 10 gal
I’ll pick out atleast two tetra pairs ... to breed in the 5 gal so I don’t have to use a lot of resources like with (rain water Java moss etc). If u know what I mean.
I have my old methods of lowering the ph.... in my old threads I used dead/dried banana leaves. I would soak It in half distilled water, then slowly add it to de-chlorinated water to get the right ph.

SnookusFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sounds good, good luck! I just got a load of new fry from my neons today :)

New Threads