What temperature do you keep your shrimp tank at?

wtusa1783

Active Member
Member
Messages
490
Reaction score
88
I’m setting up a 15 gallon fluval flex in a few weeks and it’s gonna be a shrimp tank. I will add seeded media and mystery snails to build waste to build up the beneficial bacteria. I will then get shrimp after a few weeks. After a month or 2 I would like to add some Pygmy cories. After that I will add some cpds if I can find them. So my question is, what temperature should I keep the tank at? I was thinking 75 F? It would not be too hot for the shrimp and not too cold for the snails and shrimp. What do you keep your shrimp tank temperature at?
 

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,337
Reaction score
4,430
Location
Bedford UK but Welsh
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes you can 75f is fine one bit of advise I would give is dont add shrimp for at least 3months or you run a high risk of loosing them due to instability, your fish will be fine at a push add them at 10 weeks
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
W

wtusa1783

Active Member
Member
Messages
490
Reaction score
88
richiep said:
Yes you can 75f is fine one bit of advise I would give is dont add shrimp for at least 3months or you run a high risk of loosing them due to instability, your fish will be fine at a push add them at 10 weeks
So if the tank is cycled I can’t add them?
 

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,337
Reaction score
4,430
Location
Bedford UK but Welsh
Experience
More than 10 years
If you base a tank cycle on 7 weeks then the next 3 allows for stability where all your parameters are stable this is where your good to go, any fluctuations in ph,gh,kh. Ammonia nitrite & Nitraits are deadly to shrimp jus make sure all these are stable
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
W

wtusa1783

Active Member
Member
Messages
490
Reaction score
88
richiep said:
If you base a tank cycle on 7 weeks then the next 3 allows for stability where all your parameters are stable this is where your good to go, any fluctuations in ph,gh,kh. Ammonia nitrite & Nitraits are deadly to shrimp jus make sure all these are stable
Ok. My tank will be cycled in a week. I’m going to use seeded media and mystery snails to produce waste. So if I wait 2-3 weeks I should be fine?
 

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,337
Reaction score
4,430
Location
Bedford UK but Welsh
Experience
More than 10 years
In that case it will be earlier get your nitraits down below 20 you seem to have it in hand, if you use some filter media and wipe the inside glass with it before you fill will help produce biofilm quicker which will help
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
W

wtusa1783

Active Member
Member
Messages
490
Reaction score
88
richiep said:
In that case it will be earlier get your nitraits down below 20 you seem to have it in hand, if you use some filter media and wipe the inside glass with it before you fill will help produce biofilm quicker which will help
Ok thanks. So after 2-3 weeks of it being cycled I should be good to go?
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
204
Guests online
2,629
Total visitors
2,833

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom