What tankmates really work for C. Paleatus?

nj278

Hi!

My peppered corys are currently in my 250 litre (~70 gallon) at 24C (75F), along with some C. Sterbai, angelfish, bolivian rams, and penguin tetras. I know that this temperature isn't ideal for the Paleatus, and is on the low end of the Sterbai. I also think that a peppered and a sterbai might be thinking about breeding at the moment which I am quickly learning isn't ideal...

I have a 60 litre (~18 gallon) tank set up at the moment that the two Paleatus could go into, but then obviously they couldn't have a school. On the other hand, the pair have been very active for the past year on their own (and at a higher than ideal temperature). In fact, I see them less now that the Sterbai's are in there too.

Anyway, what fish can you really stock that are temperature compatible with C. Paleatus, specifically in an 18 gallon tank?

Thank you!

nj278

Maybe cardinal tetras or ember tetras for a schooler. Some bettas would work, but others might be too agressive.
I wouldn't think that cardinals and betta would be temperature compatible with C. Paleatus. As far as I can find, these corys prefer temperatures around 22C (72F), whereas betta and cardinals prefer 24-27C (75-80F).

carsonsgjs

What are your water parameters, and what are the dimensions of the tank? If you are planning to keep the tank at 22c then you could consider white cloud mountain minnows. Depending on the dimensions, you could also up the cory numbers as well.

MacZ

I agree, the more Corydoras, the better.

In my surroundings I see successful combinations of C. paleatus with: Cleithracara maronii, Apistogramma agassizii (single fish!), Gymnocorymbus ternetzi, Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi and Melanotaenia lacustris.

Temperatures are 23°C with the rainbows, 25°C with the tetras and keyholes and 26°C with the Apistogramma. No reports of problems.

So to be honest... the choices are pretty open and the catfish can deal with a wider range.

Hence same question as carsonsgjs : What are the water parameters and the dimensions? That would narrow it down much better than just temperature.

Hellfishguy

Bloodlfins do well at cooler temps. You could easily fit 6 or 7 into your tank.

DoubleDutch

I agree, the more Corydoras, the better.

In my surroundings I see successful combinations of C. paleatus with: Cleithracara maronii, Apistogramma agassizii (single fish!), Gymnocorymbus ternetzi, Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi and Melanotaenia lacustris.

Temperatures are 23°C with the rainbows, 25°C with the tetras and keyholes and 26°C with the Apistogramma. No reports of problems.

So to be honest... the choices are pretty open and the catfish can deal with a wider range.

Hence same question as carsonsgjs : What are the water parameters and the dimensions? That would narrow it down much better than just temperature.
I'd go for a pair of A.borelli

MacZ

I'd go for a pair of A.borelli
The only Apistogramma I would combine with Corydoras as a pair. Any other Apistogramma would loose it completely as soon as Corydoras cross the territory during breeding.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Crimson_687
Replies
Views
corydoralover120
Replies
Views
frogfan
Replies
Views