What tank?

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on getting a betta and a few corries. I know my lfs sells AquaOne fish tanks and notced that they have many different styles and sizes. I know of one that they have which is on offer at the moment that is 28liters. Last night on the AquaOne website I noticed that there is another similar tank but bigger (34 liters), I don't know if my lfs has this one but they do have many and I'd have to go and find out. I don't know whcih to get?
This is the site :

The one that is on offer at my lfs is the  'AQUASTART 320 BOW FRONT GLASS AQUARIUM', the other I was wondering about is the 'AQUASTYLE 380 GLASS AQUARIUM'.

If they do have the 34 liter tank, which do you think would be bestto get?

Thanks

Gwenz

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well that would depend on a few questions:

1) What type of filter is included? Bio-wheels and Whisper Filters are the most common in tank kits. Bio-wheels are (in my opinion) the easiest to maintain.

2) Does it include a heater? If so what kind? Does it have a thermostat?

3) Is it bigger in length and width or just merely taller? (the number of fish you can keep will be more determined by the size of the water surface and not by the amount of water - so the larger tank would not help you to have more fish if it doesn't give you a bigger surface area) and do I have room for either tank?

4) The difference in price.

If the questions above are all favorable towards the bigger tank I would purchase the bigger tank.

Rose

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok I wan't the bigger tank but will have to find out about what filter and heater is included. I know the smaller tank has an undergravel filter, but because my parents are buying it for me for my birthday they said they would buy me another filter that isn't an undergravel one to go there instead.

The smaller tank is 38 W x 33 H x 30 D cm, and the bigger one is 38 W x 25 D x 46 H cm. I'm not quite sure if it is bigger in length and width or just taller. I'm not very good with dimensions. What would you say?

I'll have to check for the difference in price too. I go there most Saturdays so I'll find out more about the tanks then.

They both come with cabinets and I have an empty space in my room where the tank could go. ;D

Thanks

Gwenz

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The smaller tank actually has a larger surface area...bettas care about the surface area, not the volume of water...so you may want to get the smaller one.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would say either one would have enough surface area for one Betta, but you have to take into consideration how many other fish and what types are you wanting to place in there with a Betta. If you want any more Top Dwellers, it could get crowded in the larger tank. It sounds like a Tall tank rather than a Long tank.

Rose

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks. I think I'll stick with the smaller one then, and get another filter instead of the undergravel one that comes in it. It is 7.4gallons, and I asked in another post about different fish I could put with a betta in here, and got the answer of a Betta and 3 small Corries. Would you agree with this?

Thanks

Gwenz

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes that would be just fine. Sounds beautiful.

Rose
;D

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Great!  ;D I can't wait now. Does anyone know if any of these are good filters for the tank for my betta that I'm going to have. These are the ones I know my lfs has. I know they have more but I can't remember their names.

Thanks

Gwenz 

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They should be fine, just make sure you have enough plants to block the outflow in places.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The AquaOne looks just like the Duetto Mini that I use in Misty's tank and they are excellent and It uses the sponge filter media that would be an excellent media for bacteria growth.

The other one looks good as well.

Rose

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm going to my lfs tomrrow to look at the filters and the tank. I think I'll get the AquaOne filter to put in the AquaOne tank.

0morrokh said:
They should be fine, just make sure you have enough plants to block the outflow in places.
In my Q tank I have a Rena Filstar i1 filter that came with the tank. The outflow from the filter is quite big, and there is quite a lot of water movement. Should I just block the outflow with some plants, like you suggested to do with the other filters? Would this help?

Thanks

Gwenz

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
This might do a better job and be easier to set up than trying to get the plants to be where you need them:

Try the link that ebbandflow gives in the first post and follow the directions.  It looks like it would do the job just fine.

Rose

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What type of filter is the one in the q tank?

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Is it the water movement that is loud or the motor sound? If it is the motor, is it sitting on the floor of the tank? It looks like there are suction cups on it, if so try raising it a bit so it doesn't toudh the walls or the the bottom of the tank and it will be a bit quieter. If it is the water flow there should be an adjustment on it somewhere, do you still have the instructions that came with it? On nearly every filter there is a way of adjusting the flow and then it should quiet the flow down. If you have it on the lowest setting then, I am afraid the sponge filter may be your best bet, but when you go to buy an air pump make them take it out of the box and plug it in so you can HEAR it. Some of them make as much noise as a freight train and would maybe be worse than what you have. I have one on my q tank right now that I feel sorry for Marty because he has to put up with it is so loud.

Rose

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It isn't sitting at the bottom of the tank, but I did move it a little and it is a little quieter. There isn't a switch to adjust the flow on it.

chickadee said:
This might do a better job and be easier to set up than trying to get the plants to be where you need them:

Try the link that ebbandflow gives in the first post and follow the directions. It looks like it would do the job just fine.

Rose
Would this work with my filter?

Thanks

Gwenz

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes it might. All you would have to do is figure out how to fix it so it attached itself in front of the output to redirect the flow.

Rose

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks. I'll have to try it sometime later this week, after I've finished my coursework for school.

Gwenz

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom