What tank size?

Discussion in 'Members Fish Tanks' started by Bettalover99, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Bettalover99Valued MemberMember

I'm looking to breed fancy guppies , how many can be housed in a 20 gallon this is not including fry I will have a fry tank however my ratio is going to be 1 male three females how many can I house . I would like to end up with about 5 males so 15 females that's 20 is that okay? Or should I consider a larger size? Thanks

2. aquaticatWell Known MemberMember

I would definitely lower the number of guppies or up the tank to a 30 or 40 gallon, 40 probably better. You'll have a better chance saving any surprise fry in a larger tank as well (as long as they have somewhere to hide), but the bigger the better in any case.

3. bankruptjojoFishlore VIPMember

i would get a 40g breeder and divide it instead of using 2 tanks, this is just what i would do though.

but if you want to separate tanks then i think a 20g long would be ok for 20 guppies IMO. just do lots of water changes and vacs.

4. Kiara1125Well Known MemberMember

I think 20 guppies in a 20gL would be fine. I have 28 fish in my 20gL (4 of them being utter poop machines) and I do a water change every other week. They have a filter suited for a 40g, so it all depends on what kind of filter you can get and the water changes you're going to do. But, I like what jojo said too about the same tank. Your choice though. I know people will say things but you can't do it due to lack of money and then they yell at you. That's just wrong. :S

5. Bettalover99Valued MemberMember

Thank you. I was considering buying a 40 dividing it into two parts half for breeding half for fry and then divide the fry tank into two giving me 10 gallons for female 10 for male and 20 for breeding or maybe a 50 so I can have around 30 for breeding

6. bankruptjojoFishlore VIPMember

a 33g long would work great as its not as tall as the 55g.

7. Bettalover99Valued MemberMember

I never said anything about a 55 I said 40:$ I don't like all those weird numbers 33 is just stupid. Aha I hate weird things and it would be divided awkwardly

8. bankruptjojoFishlore VIPMember

I have a 33 and its a great size IMO. Its longer then the 40g also not as tall. You don't really need a tall tank. It is skinner though.

9. Bettalover99Valued MemberMember

I don't really know yet

10. bankruptjojoFishlore VIPMember

well there are tons of options out there. just make sure you take your time, dont want to regret your decision later.

here is a tank size chart, it might help you out..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice