What Tank Size Tank Should I Buy+ Any tips for these freshwater fish

StickyFishy

Hello,

My grandfather was recently diagnosed with cancer and we are anticipating his passing soon. He owns (these fish) and are currently living in a 45 gallon tank. We are going to be buying new materials for the fish filters, water pumps, everything. I dont know too much about fresh water aquariums but I currently own two betta fish in two 1 gal tanks. Anyways, Im taking a guess here and assuming that these fish need a bigger tank due to their size I was thinking 50-55 gal tank would be big enough, but i'd like to know what I should buy/need to take care of these guys properly along with buying a new tank! THANK YOU. (also I'd like to know the species) the big silver ones are like 4 inches wide.

Attachments

Best Answer - View Demeter's answer

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Sorry to hear about your grandfather.

I see Blue gourami, silver dollars (?), black skirt tetras and harlequin rasboras. I think a 55gal would be good for them all. They’ll need a heater and if you can, make sure you either use the old filter or take the old media and put it in the new filter so the new tank will have a much shorter cycling process. Get some Prime and maybe a liquid test kit just in case. You’ll be doing a fish-in cycle so make sure you read up on that so you know what to expect.

Kitley

Well Known
Welcome to FishLore. The first pic is black skirted tetras I believe...my favs. My opinion is to buy a tank as big as you can afford, to fit in the room it will go in.

OP
StickyFishy

StickyFishy

Demeter said:

I see Blue gourami, silver dollars (?), black skirt tetras and harlequin rasboras. I think a 55gal would be good for them all. They’ll need a heater and if you can, make sure you either use the old filter or take the old media and put it in the new filter so the new tank will have a much shorter cycling process. Get some Prime and maybe a liquid test kit just in case. You’ll be doing a fish-in cycle so make sure you read up on that so you know what to expect.
Thank you so much for the reply, And yay! (yes i believe my grandfather said they were silver dollars) I love to know what species they are. What is a "Prime" or what is that referring to-and by a fish-in cycle is that referring to the natural nitrogen cycle of a tank?

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Prime is an additive that removes chlorine and stabilizes ammonia. Most people add it when doing water changes. Yes fish in cycle is referring to nitrogen cycle. Save all the media in the old filter and keep it wet than add to new filter. Anything else in the old tank that you like move into the new tank. Ie substrate or ornaments. These also hold bb and with the filter will restart new tank.

AngelfishDude722

Demeter said:

Going on top of what you said I do think those were silver dollars blue Gourami and black skirt tetras I am not sure about the raw or as though.

OP
StickyFishy

StickyFishy

StickyFishy said:
Hello,

My grandfather was recently diagnosed with cancer and we are anticipating his passing soon. He owns (these fish) and are currently living in a 45 gallon tank. We are going to be buying new materials for the fish filters, water pumps, everything. I dont know too much about fresh water aquariums but I currently own two betta fish in two 1 gal tanks. Anyways, Im taking a guess here and assuming that these fish need a bigger tank due to their size I was thinking 50-55 gal tank would be big enough, but i'd like to know what I should buy/need to take care of these guys properly along with buying a new tank! THANK YOU. (also I'd like to know the species) the big silver ones are like 4 inches wide.
P.S If anyone has any recommended tank brands or Fish care brands let me know. Would also like to know what items I will need for the tank, just so im not guessing and being safe.

fishnovice33

Depends on what your buying - if you list items I’ll give my 2 cents.

For starters, for food, I recommend New Life Spectrum supplemented with frozen and an algae dis every now and then.

For glass tank, readily available at a pet store I’d go for Aqeoun or Marineland stay away from Tetra. Tetra’s glass is thinner than the other two. But you’ll find good tanks with all brands it can be spotty. Key is variety in choosing. Meaning hand picking 1 out of 10 is better than buying the only one in stock. Look at the silicone seams, make sure panels line up to each other and is sealed properly. It won’t be perfect being cheap at a store but you can get close - due diligence here pays off and avoids catastrophe.

If you’re looking for a more high end quality one from online, or acrylic, let me know I’ll give recommendations.

Also just want to point out all of those fish except the Gouramis are schooling fish. Meaning they do well in packs of 5-6 at least. It keeps them nice and comfy and if the pack gets too low in numbers they could pick on other fish.

But if there is good cohesiveness in the tank as it is, shouldn’t be an issue. And for those fish a 55g would do just fine with room for a few more.

OP
StickyFishy

StickyFishy

fishnovice33 said:
Depends on what your buying - if you list items I’ll give my 2 cents.

For starters, for food, I recommend New Life Spectrum supplemented with frozen and an algae dis every now and then.

For glass tank, readily available at a pet store I’d go for Aqeoun or Marineland stay away from Tetra. Tetra’s glass is thinner than the other two. But you’ll find good tanks with all brands it can be spotty. Key is variety in choosing. Meaning hand picking 1 out of 10 is better than buying the only one in stock. Look at the silicone seams, make sure panels line up to each other and is sealed properly. It won’t be perfect being cheap at a store but you can get close - due diligence here pays off and avoids catastrophe.

If you’re looking for a more high end quality one from online, or acrylic, let me know I’ll give recommendations.

Also just want to point out all of those fish except the Gouramis are schooling fish. Meaning they do well in packs of 5-6 at least. It keeps them nice and comfy and if the pack gets too low in numbers they could pick on other fish.

But if there is good cohesiveness in the tank as it is, shouldn’t be an issue. And for those fish a 55g would do just fine with room for a few more.
Ok thanks for the advice, I just searched up a TopFin Starter kit for 55 gallons at petsmart, it looks pretty solid. I heard aqueon has some quality issues, or the glass is kinda foggy, so I think I'll go with Topfin. Does this sound like a good brand?

fishnovice33

Topfin is basically the same ‘petco aqeuon’ rebranded to sell at petsmart, it will be fine. Issues with aqueon are the spottiness I was talking about. I will say aqueon has excellent customer service and will replace issues no problems.

In any case what’s most important are the silicone work and paneling. So if all that looks good you’ll be fine. I believe the kits are in boxing and you can’t inspect. If it looks horrible just exchange it.

Personally I’d replace the top fin HOB filter and get an aquaclear if you’re sticking with the HOB route. Much better quality and filtering and they’re not too expensive - costs will easily even out and more over time replacing a premade cartridge filter vs. changing/cleaning media. Two smaller is superior to one larger.

Been a while since I’ve had a top fin filter I assume they’re the same, cartridge base filter though.

OP
StickyFishy

StickyFishy

fishnovice33 said:
Topfin is basically the same ‘petco aqeuon’ rebranded to sell at petsmart, it will be fine. Issues with aqueon are the spottiness I was talking about. I will say aqueon has excellent customer service and will replace issues no problems.

In any case what’s most important are the silicone work and paneling. So if all that looks good you’ll be fine. I believe the kits are in boxing and you can’t inspect. If it looks horrible just exchange it.

Personally I’d replace the top fin HOB filter and get an aquaclear if you’re sticking with the HOB route. Much better quality and filtering and they’re not too expensive - costs will easily even out and more over time replacing a premade cartridge filter vs. changing/cleaning media. Two smaller is superior to one larger.

Been a while since I’ve had a top fin filter I assume they’re the same, cartridge base filter though.
I was watching this youtube channel set up the 55 gal starter kit for topfin, and he said that the inside compenents of the filter,( im guessing like the blue grate and filter cartridge) are "****" and that instead he uses a black sponge with filter floss around it. In the video he basically says the same thing- that like it's much cheaper to modify the filter with media than to purchase cartridges. Is this also a good option for the inside filter components? Also yeah I looked up the aquaclear filter not a bad price at all!

video:
time: 3:40

fishnovice33

StickyFishy said:
I was watching this youtube channel set up the 55 gal starter kit for topfin, and he said that the inside compenents of the filter,( im guessing like the blue grate and filter cartridge) are "****" and that instead he uses a black sponge with filter floss around it. In the video he basically says the same thing- that like it's much cheaper to modify the filter with media than to purchase cartridges. Is this also a good option for the inside filter components? Also yeah I looked up the aquaclear filter not a bad price at all!

video:
time: 3:40
Yep, exactly, modification will work just fine. There is lots of media options to play around with and test out for mechanical and biological filtration. And being stuck buying those cartridges is exactly what I was talking about. Modifying it would be a perfectly viable solution. Adding another one like he did in the video would be a great idea as well.

And just like he said in the video, the paneling and seams/silicone look good on that tank. The good thing with black (I agree it looks nicer) is sloppy work will easily show up more so I’m sure Top Fine has to do a proper job using that color.

mang0

so sorry about your grandfather, and it's great you want to take care of these guys!
a lot of people have identified and given you info about the tank, but i just wanted to mention that you should upgrade your bettas. they really can't thrive in a 1g, 5g minimum is widely accepted for one. bettas also need a heater and filter, just like the fish you are upgrading that your grandpa had. i know you have a LOT going on right now, but please try to get this done as well! bettas also need a cycled tank, just like the other fish. they have very similar needs to your grandpa's fish, just on a smaller scale since they require a smaller tank. good luck and please reach out w any questions!

OP
StickyFishy

StickyFishy

mang0 said:
so sorry about your grandfather, and it's great you want to take care of these guys!
a lot of people have identified and given you info about the tank, but i just wanted to mention that you should upgrade your bettas. they really can't thrive in a 1g, 5g minimum is widely accepted for one. bettas also need a heater and filter, just like the fish you are upgrading that your grandpa had. i know you have a LOT going on right now, but please try to get this done as well! bettas also need a cycled tank, just like the other fish. they have very similar needs to your grandpa's fish, just on a smaller scale since they require a smaller tank. good luck and please reach out w any questions!
Thank you for letting me know about this, I was planning on asking about my bettas as well. I am getting paid in about two weeks, so as soon as I get my paycheck I will work on upgrading all the fish equipment. To be honest i originally had two, sharing a 1 gal with a divider but I thought the space was too small even then for them. I do however have thermometers on both tanks and i do have a heater in case i need to warm their water up. the temp usually rests in the green zone (a little under 80 degrees farenheit). I do also have a question about water testing kits, and which ones I should buy for my tanks.

mang0

StickyFishy said:
Thank you for letting me know about this, I was planning on asking about my bettas as well. I am getting paid in about two weeks, so as soon as I get my paycheck I will work on upgrading all the fish equipment. To be honest i originally had two, sharing a 1 gal with a divider but I thought the space was too small even then for them. I do however have thermometers on both tanks and i do have a heater in case i need to warm their water up. the temp usually rests in the green zone (a little under 80 degrees farenheit). I do also have a question about water testing kits, and which ones I should buy for my tanks.
awesome! i'm so glad you want to upgrade them, they will thank you and you will see an improvement in their behavior! the one that the majority of people use is the API freshwater testing kit (link for it on petco, it's on sale right now: )

this kit will let you test a LOT, such as pH, nitrites, nitrates, ammonia, etc. it is more accurate than the strips and will last you a LONG time. this is the one that i and many other will recommend.

it sounds like their water temp is safe for now, which is great. i recommend using seachem prime and stability to cycle the tank as well

New Threads