What tank size is best for a betta?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by FLGirl, Apr 10, 2010.

1. FLGirlWell Known MemberMember

Hey, I'm not planning on buying a betta tomorrow or any time soon. I'm working on my first tank, 20 gallon. Which it would not go in. I was thinking of getting 1 betta once my tank is all established and running smoothly. I would buy a different tank for him. As in much much later down the road. If you search the web I find lots of different info and was just wondering what you guys think the best size for a betta is? Iv heard 5 gallon min, 10 gallon min and larger. What do you think? :;f

2. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

3. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

Hello! Most people suggest 2.5gals as a min for a desk or some sort. But I love 5gal's for bettas. Their big enough that you can do alot to them and small enough that they dont take up a lot of space. 10gals are nice but the currents from most filters are pretty strong. For one of my 5gals I use a tom 1-5gal filter and a whisper 3i. Keeps the tank clean and filtered correctly.
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...ms-my-fish-picture11281-platos-5gal-tank.html

4. MartinismommyFishlore VIPMember

Betta fish enjoy a 5 gallon by them self...Walmart sells a nice 5 gallon kit for a good price...

Good luck with your new addition!

5. jerilovesfrogsFishlore VIPMember

i agree 2.5 should be minimum. i have a 5 hex and my female betta does well in there.....cos she doesn't have the flowy fins. my male had that tank at one point, and i think the current was a bit tough for him. though there are diy flow diverters etc. so my male is in the 2.5g and seems to not have trouble.

be regardless, if you put real or fake plants in that are tall, they can rest on them for a break.

6. NejiValued MemberMember

I keep my Betta in my 10 gallon tank :) He LOVES it especially since I keep live plants and I have about 3 white spot tetras, 3 green and 3 ruby neon tetras, 2 hatchets and about 4 oto cats :) also, tons of live plants :) I think Betta fishes can stay in any size tank. A lot of people keep Betta fishes in a vase (I don't know if that is a good choice) or fish bowls, but I find them hard to clean especially since I don't know how you clean a Betta bowl without putting the Betta in a tank temporarily while I clean the bowl... But if you get a tank, it's got filter and gravel and you can clean it easily by siphoning the gravel if you know I what I mean...

Good luck!

7. FLGirlWell Known MemberMember

Thanks everybody! It's something Id really like to do in the future. I'm thinking I like the idea of a 10 but maybe at least a 5. I will look around at the different sizes in person, keep an eye out for extra special deals too. Thanks again!! :;f

8. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

Lol, I think my favorite style for a 5gal is a hex flat back. I have two of them...they are just so different looking. Best of luck with the tank hunting!

9. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,
    My Betta boy Wriggley lives in a 6.6g bookshelf tank below. He seems to love having a lengthy tank. I found the tank at PetCo.

Ken

Attached Files:

10. TigerfishyWell Known MemberMember

Every time Ken shows that pic, I get so jealous!

I can't do aquascaping... Look at what Wriggley gets, amazing! Esp the moss balls, love them.

I have 2 of my boys in their own 3.7g tanks, and 3 in a 3-way divided 9.25g tank. Hope our advice helped, as you can see, we're all different and in a way I guess it makes it easier for you!

11. uprightandlockedWell Known MemberMember

My bettas all have about 5g's to themselves. I have two 5G tanks which house one betta each. Then I have a 20G Long divided three ways. So they get a little over 6 gallons a piece. They sure do enjoy the space :)

12. FLGirlWell Known MemberMember

Your tank looks awesome! :;f thx for sharing

Its great hearing what everyone has! Thanks for sharing everyone, Id want my betta to be super happy. Also I know my mom is thinking she would like to get a betta too. So I can also pass this info on to her as well :;fr:;fg:;fb:;f

If I got a 10 or larger would there be any other fish that could be with him/her? Ones that would almost for sure get along or is it really a hit or miss thing? It's not something I feel like I HAVE to have, I'm fine if he/she is content on their own. Just curious if I went with a larger size. :;scuba

13. ccb04Well Known MemberMember

The 3 tank sizes I like.....

- 5.5g standard glass
    - 6.6g bookshelf (shown by Ken)
    - 10g standard

14. ccb04Well Known MemberMember

Ken, you did a fantastic job aquascaping your 6.6g bookshelf. Are those all real plants?

15. Heather MWell Known MemberMember

I know a lot of people keep cory cats and snails with their bettas. Some people can't keep any other fish with their bettas. It depends on the personality of the fish. Just have a back up plan. Maybe leave room in your 20g in case it doesn't work out. My betta, Nelson, does well with snails, but I haven't tried anything else.

16. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

17. CharlemagneValued MemberMember

I keep my betta Charlemagne in a 29 gal. w/ 2 platties, 2 tetras, a snail, 2 fiddler crabs, 1 guppy. He does pretty well in there, and no trouble with any of his tankmates yet, but I'm keeping an eye out as I know tetras can nip fins. I kept my first betta in there as well with different tankmates, and he did alright too. I think it really depends on the personality of the fish. I'd say 2.5 min. as well, and I think a 5 gal. would be great! A snail would be a great addition to your tank. There's not really any way the betta and snail can hurt each other, and snails are actually pretty interesting to watch. Good luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice