What Tank Should My Female Swordtail Go In?

1. A

Allilang New Member Member

I have two tanks. One is my live bearer peaceful tank. The other is my barb/ tetra tank.

When I bought my tiger barbs the lady gave me a female swordtail as "service" which is Korean for "on the house". This is also how I got stuck with my Chinese algae eater. She kept swordtails with the barbs and tetras, but swordtails are closer related to guppies.

It seems to be doing all right in the current barb / tetra tank, and is actually a bully to the tiger barbs believe it or not. The barbs usually only chase around each other. Should I move my bully swordtail to the peaceful tank?

2. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

What size are each of the tanks and are you going to re-home the Chinese algae eater?

3. OP
    OP
    A

Peaceful tank is 16 gallon
    Semi aggressive tank is 12 gallon
    I'm going to keep the Chinese algae eater for now since there is no reason to get rid of him. He didn't do anything wrong. I keep him in the semi aggressive tank, and Cory cats clean the peaceful tank. He tends to mind his own business.

4. APierce

Are you planning on getting a larger tank for him in the future? He will get quite big!

A swordtail does best in a bigger tank as well, bigger than 16 gal even. I'd put it in with the other peaceful tank just because it is bigger, but really a 29+ gal would be worlds better for a livebearer/ cory tank.

5. OP
    OP
    A

Unfortunately they don't really have big tanks in Korea. The biggest size that I've found was 90x30x30cm. I had wanted to get a second 60x29x35cm tank, but I didn't read what I was buying close enough and got a 60x29x29cm tank by mistake... oops... I just moved them out of a 5 gallon tank, but she is still bullying them.

She is still small for now, So I am just worried about her chasing around the albino tiger barbs all day. I am worried she will start picking on the slower guppies and platys in the peaceful tank.

I also noticed that they scoff down their food really fast in the semi-aggressive tank. Do the more active fish require substantially more food than guppies? I read that It should be about 2 minutes worth of eating, but they gobble a large amount in less than a minute.

6. OP
    OP
    A

by the way, the bully swordtail is actually smaller than the barbs! I read that barbs were bad in community tanks, but they only school around then chase each other around every once in a while. They totally ignore my tetras.

7. APierce

I doubt that she will harass the guppies and platies too much. I've had mollies, guppies, platy and swordtail all together in the same tank with no problems (except 2 guppy males that wanted to fight)...but this was a 55 gal tank. You might want to get an indoor koi pond :) instead of putting koi in it, put live bearers.

The whole two minute rule is a bit outdated IMO. If I fed some of my fish what they could eat in 2 min. they'd explode. If I fed one of my fish only what he could get to in 2 min, he'd starve to death. Fish have stomachs roughly the size of their eyes, you don't need to feed them much.

Barbs are semi aggressive, they will eat that way as well. They might leave tetras alone if they are schooling (both sets of fish). Your algae eater can eventually kill the barbs and tetras.

If the sword is smaller than the barbs it should go with the other tank IMO.

8. OP
    OP
    A

Okay, maybe I will try moving her over. I noticed two schools forming in the new tank. Tetras and barbs. Miss swordtail tries to school with my tiger barbs, and the Chinese algae eater just does his own thing. If I re-homed him, I would just be transferring a problem to someone else. who probably has a smaller tank of guppies. If he starts attacking other fish, I will deal with that problem then. For now he is either resting or sucking on stuff.

As for larger tanks, I live in Korea and space is at a premium. A large tank will be uncommon and extremely expensive because the market for them is so small.