What substrate to use for African Dwarf Frogs?

Akeath

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm planning on turning a 10 gallon aquarium into a species-only African Dwarf Frog tank, and I'm trying to figure out what substrate to use, smooth sand or normal gravel or larger river-rocks, or something else? Most of the sites I've found about them are self-contradictory on this. I'd like to hear from owners of ADFs what substrates they have used, and what they recommend. Thanks!

steed1172

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
my friend keeps theirs in a bare bottom tank,there is decor (caves and such).. but no substrate... she is thinking about getting river rocks(black) so her albino show up well.
home depot sells a large bag for like $3 that would be plenty to cover the bottom of a 10G.. they are smooth so your frog can't get cut, and large enough that they cant(and prob to heavy too) be eaten.

EDIT: just remember to clean it good w/e you decide on

Last edited:

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you don't have them already, you'll love have ADF's. They're so cute and comical!
In my adult tank I have smooth gravel. In the juvie tank, I have small smooth river rock.
Both have worked well for me.
I read precautions about gravel, that they might swallow some while getting food and having it get stuck. However, I've had my adults for a few years and never had a problem.

I've read different things about sand. I don't have personal experience with sand and ADF's. They'd probably ingest some while foraging for food, but again, from what I read, they should be able to pass sand with no problem.

Have fun with your tank and don't forget to post pictures.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
since ADFs tend to freek out after going up for air, you should go with a very fine gravle (PetCo has a pretty good selection, tho they are bit more expensive) or sand, as they will dive-bomb back down and can hit the bottom pretty hard and hurt their little noses.

and just in case you didnt know, they're kinda stupid (but very loveable lol) and arent very active eaters, so getting them used to eating at one spot at a certain time(s) every day is very important. a terra cotta plate is a good place to feed them, because if their food gets into the gravel, they probly wont dig down to get it. they are also pretty picky (at least mine were) and if they dont like their food, they most likely wont eat it (mine starved them selves because HBH changed their food and after that they even refused live guppy fry o.o). they like to hide alot too and if they dont have a cave or something to hide in, they will huddle-up in the corner. good luck! these little guys are great pets, and very fun to watch! <3

Akeath

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thank you for all the advice. Since they dive-bomb, and since it sounds like it won't be a disaster if they eat some, I've decided to go with smooth sand, and base the decor around caves rather than plants so they have plenty of hiding places. Thanks again!

FishLuver

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have mine in with my fish with an eco substrate and he never seems to hurt himself. As for eating, he eats whatever is in front of him, flakes, pellets, wafers. It is true that they are a bit stupid lol You have to basically put it right in front of them. I do find though that as long as he is active he will eventually come across food on his travels.
He does like his hiding places too.
Good luck and have fun They are so cool to watch swim.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i think they're beyond stupid lol i had a reeeealy fat one named Kari (she had a buddy named Starr) and i had them in a 1 1/2 Water Wonders tank made by Tetra with a 3i filter in it (it comes with the tank) and she would get sucked to the filter all the time! and she was so fat that i had to poke her off there on a regular basis -sigh- at least she was cute rofl

BeavisMom62

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
my friend keeps theirs in a bare bottom tank,there is decor (caves and such).. but no substrate... she is thinking about getting river rocks(black) so her albino show up well.
home depot sells a large bag for like $3 that would be plenty to cover the bottom of a 10G.. they are smooth so your frog can't get cut, and large enough that they cant(and prob to heavy too) be eaten.

EDIT: just remember to clean it good w/e you decide on
I think your friend must have an ACF (african CLAWED frog) not an ADF. So far, there is no such thing as an albino ADF. ACF's are much larger than ADF's are. Strangely, I have never seen an ACF in ANY of my pet stores around here. I dont have a tank that would be appropriate for one anyway, but I would like to see one.

BeavisMom62

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
From what I've read, I agree, I think that sand is the way to go. However I've kept ADF's for quite a while in my community tank with just regular gravel and haven't had a problem. Its true that their food can get caught between the gravel where they can't get at it, but when I feed them frozen blood worms or brine shrimp, I would just use a syringe (withOUT the needle, LOL!) and squirt it in front of them. They are so funny, sometimes I'll get two or three frogs trying to suck the worms out of the syringe and they wrestle each other to try to get the worm.

Just had a major catastrophe though. My heater malfunctioned last week and I lost all four of my frogs! That was sad. I had some trouble when I first started keeping them because of the quality of the frogs in the lfs. So many would just die, I accidentally sucked one up in the gravel vac and one escaped when he was getting his chytrid bath. Never found that one! When I got these four, they were so healthy and beefy and I've had them for quite a few months successfully and then this! Definitely plan to get more though.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm not sure about Fl. I've read about California, Nevada, Oregon, and Montana.
Some require permits.
Introduced Species Summary Project

ops:
Sorry Akeath, I'm afraid we've strayed way off topic here.

The question is about suitable substrates for ADF's.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You're right! I forgot about that. Maybe they are banned in FL?
there not banned in FL. i see them in petstores here all the time. Local ones tho, not chains. If you live by one, Mike's Aquarium sells Clawed Frogs. i like to mess with them every time i go to get new guppies XD

heres some other Dwarf sites. i used these to get me going with my girls ^_^

http://allaboutfrogs.org/info/mypets/dwarfs.html

http://repticzone.com/caresheets/616.html - i dont really remember how helpful this one was, but i remember useing it

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/african-dwarf-frog-care.html - good feeding info =D

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/frogs-turtles/africandwarffrog.php

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom