What substrate should I use

HakeyrKelly

It's a 35L (9.5G) and I'm planning on housing some sparkling gouramis or some other small fish. It will be a planted tank.

I'm wondering what substrate I should use. Here is what I have on hand.

Natural colored gravel

Black gravel

Sand

andy305mia

I like black sand looks cleaner and fish color will pop more plus I think it's cleaner than gravel. Natural color looks nice too just not white or anything too light it will look nice at first and fish color tends to wash, my 2 cents

Upvote 0

Derek88242

I switched from gravel to black sand...I love it. Makes the lush green plants and fish really stand out.

Upvote 0

HakeyrKelly

I switched from gravel to black sand...I love it. Makes the lush green plants and fish really stand out.
Yeah I'm wanting to use one of the above since I already own it... I'm sure it looks great though

Upvote 0

smee82

If you want a planted tank you really should look at an aquasoil but if you only want a few low light plants black sand will be fine just steer clear of expensive inert substrate like eco complete

Upvote 0

HakeyrKelly

I dirtbny
If you want a planted tank you really should look at an aquasoil but if you only want a few low light plants black sand will be fine just steer clear of expensive inert substrate like eco complete
I dirt all my tanks so that isn't a problem. I get what you mean though

Upvote 0

Bellasmith

I'm using Flourite black gravel and it looks great in my tank. I did rinse it first by poking holes in the bottom of the bag and placing it in a bucket. After reading other reviews I decided to bake it in the sun for 3 hours. Hardly any clouding of the water. I am attaching a picture just an hour after adding the water. Very pleased

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies
Views
Zach72202
Replies
Views
jkkgron2
Replies