What Strain of Endlers Are These?

Cody

I purchased some Endlers back in September and I decided to intentially breed them in dedicated setup. My LFS will readily take them for credit and eventually I will sell them on here.

When purchased I had start with what was sold as a “Chili and Rainbow” I started with one male in each strain and some females. I ended up losing the Rainbow but the chili survived. All has been well in the tanks and I recently removed some fry that was starting to color up. These resemble more what the “rainbow” looked like. I believe the females were pregnant from purchase

I did not purchase these as a premium strain or pure line etc. I may attempt to work with them for the best color but this is a new venture for me. So few free to set me straight on what I have but also know that I’m not claiming these to be extrodanairy at this point either.

Adult Male believed to be a Chili

E2E0BE84-A42F-43A1-96B9-67B1BD45A5E5.jpeg

fry that is beginning to color up nicely. These look closer to what I had known to be a “Rainbow” due to the larger black bar as well as the greenish yellow before the tail.

18244C9E-2BBC-4E0F-9BE6-1F4400C8D33D.jpeg

72DEA457-6348-4C73-B2E2-CF53875F6991.jpeg

Please feel free to school me on any knowledge you have to offer.
emeraldking from my searches on the forum you seem to be the one who could offer the most input. Any input here? Much appreciated.

SM1199

I don't have any relevant knowledge unfortunately but you're more likely to be seen by emeraldking if you tag him like this.

veggieshark

They seem like misc. endlers, possibly hybrids. I see traces of what is called a chili endler and black bar endler in the first picture. The second is more true to the black bar. I suppose variations of black bar include ones like the first picture.

Cody

85539BA1-C1D0-4F65-BA4C-A4D6B3E22551.jpeg

D362B106-2E37-4AD1-BB3B-EA4B761D7EFC.jpeg

here is some more pictures I got today of what I would consider the Black Bars. I was curious about the Chili in the first picture also- it does have the traits but it’s hard to say if it’s mixed or just not high grade.

Donovan Jones

I know in a recent video of lrb aquatics he showed his chili derived endlers and they threw out a lime green male.
emeraldking will probably be able to shed more light.

emeraldking

Hi there,

Sorry for not being able to reply sooner. I've been hospitalized for a few days and came back yesterday.
I see a chili endler male (also known as red scarlet endler). This is a hybrid strain. All others are black bar endlers. Wether these black bar endlers are pure or K-class is something that's hard to tell at this point. It won't help looking at the dorsal. For it turned out that in the wild besides translucent also colored dorsals occur. The shape of the black bar mark does differ per male. So, that won't make it easier as well.
They've got nothing to do with the rainbow endler. There are many people that like to use the name rainbow for a mixed endler. But to be honest, there's offically already a wild phenotype that's called a rainbow endler coming from the Cumana region in Venezuela.

Rb.jpg

Donovan Jones said:
I know in a recent video of lrb aquatics he showed his chili derived endlers and they threw out a lime green male.
emeraldking will probably be able to shed more light.
If you look at the basics of chili endlers, a black bar endler has been used. Limegreen looking endlers (which come from the Cumana region just like the black bar endlers) coming from chili endlers isn't that weird. But a normal black bar endler coming from chili endlers happens more often.

Cody

emeraldking said:
Hi there,

Sorry for not being able to reply sooner. I've been hospitalized for a few days and came back yesterday.
I see a chili endler male (also known as red scarlet endler). This is a hybrid strain. All others are black bar endlers. Wether these black bar endlers are pure or K-class is something that's hard to tell at this point. It won't help looking at the dorsal. For it turned out that in the wild besides translucent also colored dorsals occur. The shape of the black bar mark does differ per male. So, that won't make it easier as well.
They've got nothing to do with the rainbow endler. There are many people that like to use the name rainbow for a mixed endler. But to be honest, there's offically already a wild phenotype that's called a rainbow endler coming from the Cumana region in Venezuela.

Rb.jpg

If you look at the basics of chili endlers, a black bar endler has been used. Limegreen looking endlers (which come from the Cumana region just like the black bar endlers) coming from chili endlers isn't that weird. But a normal black bar endler coming from chili endlers happens more often.
Sorry to hear that! Hope healthier times find you soon.

thank you so much, so to make sure I understand correct. I could end up with regular black bars from the chili offspring?

Right now I have the Black bar Endlers separated as they start to color up, but if the Chili’s are a hybrid of a Black Bar is it worth separating? I think they’re both beautiful fish so I’m not concerned with having one or the other but I want to make an effort to keep them looking pure and nice as well as I breed them. I was more concerned about making an undesirable hybrid than anything.

emeraldking

Cody said:
Sorry to hear that! Hope healthier times find you soon.

thank you so much, so to make sure I understand correct. I could end up with regular black bars from the chili offspring?

Right now I have the Black bar Endlers separated as they start to color up, but if the Chili’s are a hybrid of a Black Bar is it worth separating? I think they’re both beautiful fish so I’m not concerned with having one or the other but I want to make an effort to keep them looking pure and nice as well as I breed them. I was more concerned about making an undesirable hybrid than anything.
Well, if you'd like to keep them as seperate lines, you can do that. But don't be surprised if once in a while a black bar male will develop out of the chili line. For that would be quite normal.
When you seperate them from eachother, you do make a stronger line of each. So yes, it's for sure worthwhile to seperate them.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom