What Strain Is This Guppy?

1. Supreme Sawk

Supreme Sawk Valued Member Member

WP_20170804_15_05_38_Pro.jpg
    Would anybody have any idea as to what strain he is? Sorry for the lighting.

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!

He's be a half-black mosaic. With a small delta tail. But definitely on the lower end of the quality spectrum, probably due to where you got him. The real showy versions have a very matte black of color halfway up the body, at least reaching the beginning portion of the dorsal fin. And the mosaic patterning is very full and consistent throughout the entire tail

Hope this helps and best of luck!

3. OP
    OP
    Supreme Sawk

Thank you! He may not be a show-quality specimen but he's still quite good for an LFS guppy.

4. KinsKicks

Very true! He's a pretty guy for LFS :)

5. OP
    OP
    Supreme Sawk

Yes. With the right females (I currently have some blue half-black/yellow-red snakeskin fry) he might be able to produce some decent fry.

6. OP
    OP
    Supreme Sawk

The problem with the crosses though is that even if they appear to have the mother's blue tail they could still be harbouring the recessive yellow and red genes that could become dominant again in their fry, as well as the snakeskin pattern on the body and tail. In other words, they won't breed true. If I wanted him to produce blue cobra fry I'd have to get females that are from a blue strain.

7. KinsKicks

So you'd have to special order a female? Or cross your fingers and hope for the best? But then that would be kinda counterproductive if you get a high quality female with a lower quality male...hmmm

8. OP
    OP
    Supreme Sawk

Not really, because theoretically you'd end up with mid quality fry, and if you wanted to then get medium-high quality fry then you breed the mid quality fry back to the mother or other high-quality specimen, and so on until you end up with only high quality fry.

9. KinsKicks

That's true, imagine all the breeding! But sounds like a fun project for sure haha :p

10. OP
    OP
    Supreme Sawk

Yeah, or maybe I could just let him mate with who he wants to mate with and live his life? I don't know, it seems like a waste of a relatively speaking good specimen. Idk, I think I'd rather selectively breed my sunset micariff male, since he's at least from what I've seen a mid-quality specimen. The question is finding a good female sunset micariff or yellow micariff, since the only female I have who is decent enough to selectively breed has already given birth to 2 non-micariff broods, with a 3rd on the way, and my other female is really not good enough quality to selectively breed. I'll look around.