What Species? Was Marketed As Java Fern. Also Maybe A New Start?

Pukkafish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
A361444B-0B55-4FA5-B0E7-E6502E9532FD.jpeg
i got this plant on a coconut husk cave, and I’m fairly sure this little sprout is a new start. Should I clip it off and plant it down? At first I thought it was a start from my windelov fern that popped off, but it’s attached to that leaf

OP
Pukkafish

Pukkafish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yup, looks like a new start! You can clip it off and tie it/glue it down to something so it stays put. As for species, looks like a normal java fern to me.
Awesome! Is it ok to clip it and grow it out a bit in a glass container on the window? I’m worried my loaches will uproot it

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would let it naturally release from the plant leaf then putting in the window probably wouldn’t hurt it .. don’t plant the rhizome just the roots of anything but better as above stated tie glue or I use small clear elastics to hold rhizome plants to hardscape

MD_Plants

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would let it grow for a while. You can also cut the whole leaf, and the whole leaf will grow plantlets off of it if you float it!

OP
Pukkafish

Pukkafish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would let it grow for a while. You can also cut the whole leaf, and the whole leaf will grow plantlets off of it if you float it!
Oh awesome! I have a couple floating leaves from my windelov that popped on their own, would those grow plantlets? I plan to let the sprout pop on its own and grow it out in the window for a bit before I plant it in my 10 gal

MD_Plants

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh awesome! I have a couple floating leaves from my windelov that popped on their own, would those grow plantlets? I plan to let the sprout pop on its own and grow it out in the window for a bit before I plant it in my 10 gal
i. my experience sometimes they do, and sometimes they don’t. I would just leave them in there and see what happens!

Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom