What species of Otocinclus is this little guy?

EstherB

I would like to know what species of Oto the fish in the foreground is. I believe the behind it is O vittatus.

I purchased 2 Otocinclus yesterday. When I got home and released them into my tank, I noticed that they were not the same species. One of them lacks the prominent stripes across the tail and prominent black spot at its base, and is more brownish than the sharper black speckles on O. vittatus. Here is a picture of an O. vittatus next to my mystery Oto. Looking on is a little sparkling gourami. Anyone know what my mystery Oto is?

One of my six Oto's
You must be registered to see images
What species of Oto is this? It looks like one of the ones I just got yesterday, mixed in with a vittatus.

DoubleDutch

What species of Oto is this? It looks like one of the ones I just got yesterday, mixed in with a vittatus.
Don't know for sure Esther.
There seem to be several species being imported that are mislabeled / misnamed. Maybe this can help

Species Quick Find

EstherB

Don't know for sure Esther.
There seem to be several species being imported that are mislabeled / misnamed. Maybe this can help

Species Quick Find
Thanks, Double Dutch. I looked over those photos. What do you think about the O. huaorani, the specimen from Cano Banderita? If you look at my picture of the unknown, you can see it has small black irregular specks on its tail, and a semi circle of these specks, not bold wavy lines or straight lines.

BTW, so far the two vittatus and the unknown have ignored the microwaved piece of zucchini I put in last night, and I think they ignored the Hikari algae wafer. I just put in some microwaved and smashed green peas (in a tiny glass dish) and a bit of microwaved chopped spinach. I staked the spinach down with a bamboo skewer. I see one of the otos (maybe the one I've had for a couple weeks, who I have seen in the past nibbling the zucchini) looks a bit thin. I hope it finds the bit of staked spinach I put near it. What else can I do to get them to eat?

EstherB

The one in the back rather looks like the unknown one I got yesterday. Do you know the species? Is there a difference in markings between male and female? I see your other one has slightly bolder markings on its tail.

MacZ

The one in the back rather looks like the unknown one I got yesterday. Do you know the species? Is there a difference in markings between male and female? I see your other one has slightly bolder markings on its tail.
There are at least 4 species (O. hoppei, O. vestitus, O. maculatus and O. mariae), that are virtually impossible to ID, because the only clear distinction seems to be the caudal fin pattern. I would guess maybe 4-5 people on this planet can do that just by looking. I for sure can not.
Difference of the sexes: females are a bit bigger and bulkier.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Anders247
Replies
Views
Avani
Replies
Views
Miss
Replies
Views