What species is this

Hairalgae

a year ago I went down to my local creek system in Australia and caught some fish for my tank. I the. Moved them to my new pond a found that one had grown a lot and only just caught it again today. What do you think it might be. some sort of rainbow?

Attachments

• C06D1BBF-4872-4D35-8CE0-7C39B3EB27AA.jpeg
    C06D1BBF-4872-4D35-8CE0-7C39B3EB27AA.jpeg
    155 KB · Views: 38

WRWAquarium

It has the shape of a rainbow

Yeoy

a year ago I went down to my local creek system in Australia and caught some fish for my tank. I the. Moved them to my new pond a found that one had grown a lot and only just caught it again today. What do you think it might be. some sort of rainbow?
It's definitely a rainbow. To get a proper ID you'll probably need to include your state and the rough area (or if possible the actual creek/river name) to narrow it down. You could also post on an ANGFA group page for your state, very knowledgeable on native fish.

Essentially many rainbow species look very similar, and individual species can vary a lot between locations/populations. So without extra info it'd be hard to actually ID it.

GlennO

Plenty of food in that pond by the look of it.

Hairalgae

It's definitely a rainbow. To get a proper ID you'll probably need to include your state and the rough area (or if possible the actual creek/river name) to narrow it down. You could also post on an ANGFA group page for your state, very knowledgeable on native fish.

Essentially many rainbow species look very similar, and individual species can vary a lot between locations/populations. So without extra info it'd be hard to actually ID it.
I caught it from enoggera creek Ashgrove

chromedome52

Sorry to tell you this, but that is not a Rainbowfish. It is a Swordtail, which means it is an invasive species to Australia. This is one of the reasons Australia has such tight import laws for fish.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Bgreen82
Replies
Views
Feohw
Replies
Views
emmykenzie
Replies
Views