What species is this?

AndyVE

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all,
I bought a couple or corydoras pygmaeus, but also got one of these...

Can anyone tell me what species it is (gold dotted body with orange in his fins)?
ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1449596591.336479.jpg

alink

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
That is a Celestial Pearl Danio aka Galaxy Rasbora. These are sub-tropical fish which prefer water in high 60-low 70 degree range (F). They are very active swimmers and do best in groups of 6 or more and can be kept in 10 gallon tank or bigger provided that it is not overstocked.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hard to see the orange in the pic, and there are other species of danio with spots like that, but sounds like a celestial pearl danio from your description.

EDIT: Double ninja'ed

DOUBLE EDIT: Triple ninja'ed! Missed one post.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That is a Galaxy Rasbora, a.k.a. Firecracker Rasbora/Danio, a.k.a. Celestial Pearl Danio(CPD), currently classified as Danio margaritatus, I think. Somebody is going to be in trouble, they are usually more expensive than the Cory!

You were triple ninja'd, and I was quadruple ninja'd!

ClearEyes

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
alink said:
That is a Celestial Pearl Danio aka Galaxy Rasbora. These are sub-tropical fish which prefer water in the 60 degree range (F).
Are you sure about that temperature? CPDs are on my list for my next tank, and nothing in my research has indicated temperatures that low. Seriouslyfish says 20-26C, which is 68-78.8 F.

alink

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
ClearEyes said:
Are you sure about that temperature? CPDs are on my list for my next tank, and nothing in my research has indicated temperatures that low. Seriouslyfish says 20-26C, which is 68-78.8 F.
I confused them with WCMM. But they do like it cooler over warmer. Here is a direct quote from TFH Magazine article..

Air temperatures around the area vary from near freezing in the winter to almost 95°F in the summer. Travel agencies report that the weather in the area is “mild and pleasant” for the travel season, but it can be “cold, damp, and miserable” in the rainy season. Many hobbyists have reported success keeping celestial pearl danios in temperatures in the low 70s. Few have had luck keeping them in warm water at 80°F or above, so keep that in mind as well. It might be best to keep them in unheated tanks, similar to the way you would keep their cousins, White Cloud Mountain minnows
Full article here.. http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/articles/the-celestial-pearl-danio-a-cautionary-tale.htm

ClearEyes

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ah, okay. I plan on keeping my new tank at a moderate 74, for compatibility with other community fish I want to keep in there. I have central air and heating, so my house is 73 degrees all year round, no matter what the weather is like.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom