What species is my eel?

Poseidontheaxolotl

Hello!

I recently bought a small eel at a pet store, where the owner said it was a peacock eel. However, I have started to doubt that it is.

I believe it may be a species of spiny eel, however I am not completely sure. I have some pictures of my eel below, and if anyone could help me out that would be great! Also does anyone know how to tell how old my eel is or if it is a male or a female?

Thank you!

0F400FE9-9787-4DAF-873B-A2A9E7C96DDE.jpeg

D48D0585-D8F0-4EE1-8BDF-503F2076C73E.jpeg

Blue1314

If it is a peacock eel it will have 3-6 eyespots near the end of its tail.

Wrench

Is this fresh water???...I want one.

Poseidontheaxolotl

If it is a peacock eel it will have 3-6 eyespots near the end of its tail.
It doesn’t seem to have any spots, so that was why I was wondering if anyone knew how to tell how old they were, because maybe it’s a juvenile, and I don’t know if juveniles have spots yet?

Poseidontheaxolotl

Mongo75

I just called my l.f.s and asked if they had a rubber eel! They said no only fire eels...I asked how big are they...they have two or three 4 ft eels.....yeah not gonna happen.
Outside of Kuhli loaches, which I believe, aren't true eels , you're going to have problems finding an eel that doesn't grow at least 1 foot, and most are in the 2 foot or more category.

jinjerJOSH22

I just called my l.f.s and asked if they had a rubber eel! They said no only fire eels...I asked how big are they...they have two or three 4 ft eels.....yeah not gonna happen.
Spiny Eels range from about 6" to 48" depending on species.
Outside of Kuhli loaches, which I believe, aren't true eels , you're going to have problems finding an eel that doesn't grow at least 1 foot, and most are in the 2 foot or more category.
Spiny Eels aren't true Eels either, I haven't read your link but I'm pretty sure it says it there, that there isn't any true freshwater Eels.

Spiny Eels are also escape artists so keep that in mind.

Feohw

I edited out my first part as I misread this comment I tagged.

And just to note, none of the fish in the list a few comments above are actually true eels.

This looks to be Macrognathus pancalus, the barred spiny eel (not a true eel). They can get about 7 inches. Up to 8. These guys like to hide, I wouldn't add them to a tank without sand. They are well known escape artists, so a tight fitting lid is needed.

Wrench

And just to note, none of the fish in the list a few comments above are actually true eels.

This looks to be Macrognathus pancalus, the barred spiny eel (not a true eel). They can get about 7 inches. Up to 8. These guys like to hide, I wouldn't add them to a tank without sand. They are well known escape artists, so a tight fitting lid is needed.
I was reading and they are a form of a worm actually?????? Crazy stuff...I have a good lod with the plastic extenders on the back but if I end up getting one it would not be until I get my 150 gallon...

Feohw

I was reading and they are a form of a worm actually?????? Crazy stuff...I have a good lod with the plastic extenders on the back but if I end up getting one it would not be until I get my 150 gallon...
Rubber eels are caecilians. Often called caecilian worms. But they aren't actually eels, nor worms. They are amphibians.

The fish the OP has is an eel-like fish, but not a true eel.

Poseidontheaxolotl

Dude.....I want one..what temp does he live at? P.h requirements??

Ok thank you! I do have a tight fitting lid however this one seems more chill and likes to hang around in the gravel. He (assuming sex) is an absolutely magnificent creature to feed! He always seems to know when I am going to feed him. When I was researching about him I did realize that there are no true freshwater eels, however there are some freshwater fish that look a lot like an eel.

Poseidontheaxolotl

Dude.....I want one..what temp does he live at? P.h requirements??
Mine lives at around 76° F. I feed him bloodworms which is fascinating to see, as you can see them in him his body which is incredible! The ph is around 7.7 - 7.8, and he seems perfectly happy! I got mine at a small, not very well know fish store called Sea Level, however he wasn’t mentioned in the fish they were selling so I had to ask the store manager if they were selling any eels; I had been there previously and had seen him. They truly are amazing animals even if they aren’t actual eels, and have amazing personalities!

Wrench

Mine lives at around 76° F. I feed him bloodworms which is fascinating to see, as you can see them in him his body which is incredible! The ph is around 7.7 - 7.8, and he seems perfectly happy! I got mine at a small, not very well know fish store called Sea Level, however it wasn’t mentioned in the fish they were selling so I had to ask the store manager. They truly are amazing animals even if they aren’t actual eels, and have amazing personalities!
I would like one..
Need to find one now

Poseidontheaxolotl

I have Kuhli loaches as well, and I have researched more eels and some smaller ones that I have found have included the half banded spiny eel and the lake Tanganyika eel. However the Lake Tanganyika eel is only found in Lake Tanganyika in Tanzania. I actually lived there for 12 years until I moved to the US about half a year ago. I don’t know how easy they would be to see in the wild - I’m guessing pretty difficult.

Mongo75

I learned something today . In my defense though, I've never had the desire to own an "eel", so all I looked at in the link I posted, was the length, and that was probably the first link from my google search.

Joker77

def not a peacock variety.

heres a vid of mine when I first got him. Notice the very notable spots at the end of the tail.

Loads of personality and picky eaters. I have to hand feed mine blood worms every other day. He loves burrowing in the sand and 95% of the time all you see is just his nose poking out.

Poseidontheaxolotl

def not a peacock variety.

heres a vid of mine when I first got him. Notice the very notable spots at the end of the tail.

Loads of personality and picky eaters. I have to hand feed mine blood worms every other day. He loves burrowing in the sand and 95% of the time all you see is just his nose poking out.
Ah yes, I do see that it may not be a peacock eel. You have a wonderful tank though! I believe it is a barred spiny eel, as that resembles mine most. Mine is quite similar as I feed mine bloodworms every other day as well, and it’s snout is the only thing visible. However this is definitely a nocturnal animal and is usually most active around when it’s starting to get dark. Thank you!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Haydeno
  • Question
Replies
Views
Haydeno
Replies
Views
Passionfish
  • Question