1. Acidic (pH 5.5 - 6.5)

5.0%
  2. Neutral (pH 6.5 - 7.5)

25.0%
  3. Basic (pH (7.5 - 9.0)

70.0%
  1. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Hey guys,

Wondering what percentage of people have different kind of water available.

Options are listed above, and since not all member's know the KH and GH values, i will base it on pH (which is a good indicator of water hardness anyway)

NOTE: Please list your most commonly used water source for our tanks. I have 4 different options but i use well water the most, hence i chose that as my option

Looking forward to seeing the answers.

2. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

You need more options ;)

A 6.5-7.5 is a massive range (although technically neutral I suppose), but the pH scale is logarithmic (you probably know that), and a full 1 is a big difference.

My tap water is pH 6.8-7.0, KH 0-1 degree, GH 2-3 degrees (IIRC, been a while since I tested it) and with a TDS of 28-32ppm

I have a RO/DI unit for my reef, hence I know the TDS ;)

EDIT: Yes, that's our tap water, through the mains from the water company, it's not rain water, well water or anything else like that..... jealous :;bb hehehehehe

3. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

I have well water with a pH so high it's off the charts. To get my true pH before water changes, I prefilter, heat and treat new water for 5 days prior to water changes, using a 29g aquarium. If the need arises, I have 2 55g drums (blue) for potable water purposes.

Ken

4. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

Mine is straight from Lake Michigan so the water is fairly hard 7.7-7.9.

5. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Interesting, that's probably why my water is hard too, as I'm pretty sure Chicago water comes from Lake Michigan. Mine is about 8.2

6. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Water Quality

:;scuba My water comes from the City of Los Angeles from one of our local reserves. Our water hardness is 7.8. The one thing I do notice about our water is that it smells like chlorine. They must put a lot of chlornine in the water for me to be able to smell it.

7. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

I understand the need for more options, but while the pH scale is logarithmic, too many options will ruin the idea of my question. The idea is to see which region people fall into, not their specific measures :)

Most people's water is hard for numerous reasons. Most common of which is recycling water processes. I have a friend who's well water comes out at 8.8... It's limestone causing that. Most people have tap water or well water that is close to urban areas, hence the reason for such a high pH (due to a high KH, GH and electrolyte measure)

8. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I actually have no idea...

9. angelfish220 Well Known Member Member

I'm the only one who has acidic water? My water comes from a local spring that supplies our neighborhood (I live so far away from civilization there isn't city water piped here)

10. QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

I think my water comes from Philly or my township.

pH: 7.6 - 7.8

11. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

My pH is 7.2, but the hardness is apparently rather high (can't think of the number off the top of my head). I think I have weird water lol

12. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

I wont be surprised if you are the only one with acidic water for a while. Because so few people live so far away from civilization, there just arent that many with that great acidic spring water. Not to mention that a lot of springs and wells have hard water anyway :):)

Common occurence it seems. It just means that there are other electrolyte in your water that also lower pH. So you probably have a high Calcium Carbonate count, as well as a high Potassium Count (the most common pH lowering mineral)

13. fbn Well Known Member Member

I use well water :). 7.8-8.0!

14. Dlondon95 Well Known Member Member

I also have well water. Oh is usually around 8.0-8.4, depending on the time of the year.

15. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Im on city water as I live in city limits. pH is 7.0 straight out of the tap. It eventually drops as 0 KH and 2* GH. .25 reading of PO4. Note that I live in Southeast Alaska.

If you live out of city limits it's rainwater and that is soft acidic also.

16. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Our water source is the mississippi river. Ph of 8.0. Tap water has over 2ppm ammonia in it. I live just outside the city limits,( 6 blocks maybe.)the city water is actually better still basic and hard, but no ammonia, and it tastes better. I wish I lived in the city limits for that reason, well that and inside te city limits water is free.

17. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

It's actually surprising to see how many people have well water. I didn't know it was such a rare occurence :)

@ Lexi - When you say mississippi river, do you mean you pump water from the river? or is it a community thing?

18. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

All the water in the area comes from the mississippi or meremac rivers, I don't pump the water myself( although the river isonly a few blocks away), the water company gets our water from the river and then processes (treats) it.

19. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Ah!... That makes much more sense.

Apologies for the confusion :)