What sould i feed my pygmy corydoras.

Bruhineedhelp

Hi, you probably recognize me from my other pygmy corydoras questions, I looked at 10 different websites and 30 fish lore posts and in majority I can have 2 pygmy Cory catfish.

Now I need the following questions answered:

Can pygmy corydoras live off algae wafers.

If they can't live off algae wafers what else should I feed them.

Tips for keeping them happy because I don't only want them to survive, I also want them to thrive.

Coradee

Hi again, it seems you’re determined to have them even though you have been well advised against it, they may survive but will not be happy in such a small number & space.
They aren’t algae eaters, they verge on the carnivorous side of omnivores so a good quality catfish pellet ground down for tiny mouths, frozen or live cyclops, bbs etc
Good luck but I fear this will not end well.

Ouse

You should feed more meaty pellets tailored around cories’ diet. Cories don’t eat algae, nor can they digest it. Occasionally feed frozen food such as brine shrimp and daphnia. It’s a misconception that bloodworms are healthy when fed regularly, so try not to buy into it.

We advised you that pygmy cories can’t go in your three gallon, with many reasons as to why. If you are set on them, get a 10 gallon tank with a 60cm x 30cm footprint minimum and house them in there instead. They won’t thrive in tiny tanks, sorry.

Bruhineedhelp

Hi again, it seems you’re determined to have them even though you have been well advised against it, they may survive but will not be happy in such a small number & space.
They aren’t algae eaters, they verge on the carnivorous side of omnivores so a good quality catfish pellet ground down for tiny mouths, frozen or live cyclops, bbs etc
Good luck but I fear this will not end well.
Thank you, and I completely understand why you think that. Only 40% of people said the same as you. 60% were saying they will be happy in that sized tank. I'm not against you, I think your just being a good fish owner. If I could afford I bigger tank I would get one, but they will be happy. In a few months I will post another thread saying how there all going.
You should feed more meaty pellets tailored around cories’ diet. Cories don’t eat algae, nor can they digest it. Occasionally feed frozen food such as brine shrimp and daphnia. It’s a misconception that bloodworms are healthy when fed regularly, so try not to buy into it.

We advised you that pygmy cories can’t go in your three gallon, with many reasons as to why. If you are set on them, get a 10 gallon tank with a 60cm x 30cm footprint minimum and house them in there instead. They won’t thrive in tiny tanks, sorry.
Thank you for the advice. Most people have said that they are completely happy in a 3 gallon. You are just being a good fish women, I'm not against you. Thanks!

Ouse

Thank you for the advice. Most people have said that they are completely happy in a 3 gallon. You are just being a good fish women, I'm not against you. Thanks!
Whoever has been saying it will work is wrong. Be careful not to buy into misinformation; not everything you will hear online is correct.

Also, I’m not a woman. ;)

Bruhineedhelp

Whoever has been saying it will work is wrong. Be careful not to buy into misinformation; not everything you will hear online is correct.

Sorry it was auto correct. I will see what happens to them.

MacZ

Thank you, and I completely understand why you think that. Only 40% of people said the same as you. 60% were saying they will be happy in that sized tank.
Things like that are not a thing of percentage of opinion. The majority doesn't always have to be right.
Of the 60% that gave you green light I am very sure the majority is inexperienced either in fishkeeping generally or with this species and the rest either not bothering for the wellbeing of the fish or trying to cater to what you want to hear.

Culturally, fishkeepers from certain regions of the world have certain basic opinions.
In some regions (and I assume you are from one of those) people don't care for the fishes requirements but want to keep a certain fish. Period.
That seems to be your goal and that is in principle your right. But I would NEVER priorize the wishes of a fishkeeper over the needs of a fish, because the fish is in ultimate consequence dependent on your care and if your choices lead to their demise it's on you and not the people you choose to listen to albeit others have warned you.

If you choose to do this, ok. But please don't say nobody warned you if it goes wrong. Good luck.

Ouse

I have no problem with the auto-correct. I don’t take offence to it. :)

I really don’t think it’s a risk worth taking. It’s just a poor compromise where the fish pay the price. They have a very little area to roam and will feel lonely with just a pair, as they’re shoaling fish in nature.

I have great doubt it will work. Sorry to say it.

Bruhineedhelp

Things like that are not a thing of percentage of opinion. The majority doesn't always have to be right.
Of the 60% that gave you green light I am very sure the majority is inexperienced either in fishkeeping generally or with this species and the rest either not bothering for the wellbeing of the fish or trying to cater to what you want to hear.

Culturally, fishkeepers from certain regions of the world have certain basic opinions.
In some regions (and I assume you are from one of those) people don't care for the fishes requirements but want to keep a certain fish. Period.
That seems to be your goal and that is in principle your right. But I would NEVER priorize the wishes of a fishkeeper over the needs of a fish, because the fish is in ultimate consequence dependent on your care and if your choices lead to their demise it's on you and not the people you choose to listen to albeit others have warned you.

If you choose to do this, ok. But please don't say nobody warned you if it goes wrong. Good luck.
I live in Australia nsw sydney, are people cruel to fish there

Thank you, I have decided not to get the catfish. Thank you very much for saving whatever pygmy catfish I was gonna get from being unhappy.

MacZ

I live in Australia nsw sydney, are people cruel to fish there
Usually they are not, so I put this on you being ill-advised before.

Thank you, I have decided not to get the catfish. Thank you very much for saving whatever pygmy catfish I was gonna get from being unhappy.
Great decision.

Ouse

No problem. :) Don’t lose all hope yet; when you have the space and money, you will be able to get an appropriately sized tank to house a decently-sized shoal of these cories.

I think putting it off until later was the right thing to do. I wanted you to hear it won’t work in the current conditions from multiple people. When you can get them, you now know what to feed them.

DoubleDutch

Anxious to know how many people stand for 60%.

Coradee is one of the experts in case of Corys with an knowledge and experience we won't even come close.
So her info is 160% more worth than any other.

Search the internet long enough and one can keep a Great White in a 10 gallon.

No one was offensive or rude in this or the other thread so please don't react the way you do. Also there is not any reason to give you wrong / false info here.

Question asked, answer given.
If one doesn't like the answer that is a different thing, but why asking the question then in the first place.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
PAcanis
Replies
Views
eligri
Replies
Views
PAcanis
Replies
Views