What Solitary fish do you know of?

1. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Hey guys

Interested to know what solitary fish there are out there. There are actually very few that i know of!

Just for interests :):)

2. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

I keep a lot of the larger American cichlids, one to a tank here.
    Blackbelts, jags, and the like do just fine in a tank by themselves.

3. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Yeah okay i didnt think to consider excluding the CA cichlids... :):)

I really do like the blackbelts especially though. My LFS has a huge one. Very personable

4. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

Indeed, the black belts I have had over the years have always been very interactive with people.

5. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

bettas, oscars, DG, wolffish, bichir, dragon goby, various chiclids, kissing gourami and so on all do fine on their own.

6. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

:;fThread has been moved to the Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates forum. The Hot Topics forum is reserved for subjects that can be controversial.

7. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Bettas are not solitary fish. BAM! Controversy, back to hot topics! Just kidding, although as I understand it many species of betta are not solitary.

Most of my african fish are solitary - knife, ctenopoma, featherfin, bichir.

Horseface loaches are loners, as are BGK and other knives (except the glass knife). I think there are a few other loaches.

Most of the sharks are, as well as plecos. Some catfish are too.

8. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

fahaka puffers!

9. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Unless i mention otherwise i am always talking about our domesticated betta splendens. Wild betta splendens are sociable. In fact their are few species that arnt.

Also, what kind of sharks? redfins are but irridesents and a few others are all schoolers arnt they?

10. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

the iridescent sharks are actually not sharks at all, they are actually a catfish hybrid.

11. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

however they belong to a group of catfish called sharks, thus they are sharks.

12. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

What cichlids (besides CA cichlids) are you referring to?

Apologies!

Lol... Nice save :):)

13. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Jewel Cichlids do fine by themselves.

14. nippybetta Well Known Member Member

Electric cats! But don't be shocked :)
    I was looking into a tank with one yesterday, I decided I don't want it much.