What snail should I get?

Maxwell09
7 gallon planted tank with shrimp. I want a snail thats hardy, long lived, active, doesnt reproduce, and helps clean up food and decaying matter.

I think nerites are off the list for now since i cant sex them, but if i can do it ill consider them again

veggieshark
If you are worried about nerites reproducing, that's not going to happen.

Wouldratherwatchaquarium
Was going to say Malaysian trumpets.. But they reproduce quite readily as I have discovered! I rarely see them though, they are busy burrowing in the gravel.

R3licx
I have 2 Mystery snails and 2 Black Devil Spike Snails. Id say ether of them would be good for your tank.

carsonsgjs
I think nerites tick all the boxes that you have set out. No need to worry about sexing as their eggs wont hatch unless they are in salt/brackish water.

I picked up a bunch a few days ago and im really impressed by their cleaning abilities.

animalgirl257
mystery snails?

Animefishes
Mystery snails will definitely work if you get different breeds, they do get big and might have to much bioload for a 7 gallon though.
I would do more research because some snails lay eggs without fertilization.

Maxwell09
veggieshark said:
If you are worried about nerites reproducing, that's not going to happen.
The white eggs are annoying

attheworld
Maxwell09 said:
The white eggs are annoying
That's the only downfall with a nerite snail which I see. I bought one recently for my tank - super hardy and cleans up algae nicely. By hardy I mean it survived a 2 hour long walk at about 50°F in a store-bought bag.
I have rocks in my tank that were covered in diatoms since the 3rd week of the cycle. I added this snail and they were gone within 4 days. It won't eat prepared foods or vegetables, I think it only feeds off of algae and biofilm. I don't know if nerites will eat decaying plant matter/food. So, if you don't have algae in your tank since you like to keep it super clean, not for you. If you were to add nerites you could add 2-3 depending on the amount of shrimp in your tank.

Animefishes said:
Mystery snails will definitely work if you get different breeds, they do get big and might have to much bioload for a 7 gallon though.
They get pretty big and produce a lot of waste. They are gorgeous and great scavengers, but depending on how many shrimp the OP has in their 7 gallon it may not be for them. If they do want to add one I would only add 1 max. There needs to be a food in their diet with some meat in it and if your water is soft/has low GH you may need to add a calcium supplement for their large shells. But shrimp are inverts too and if they aren't having calcium problems snails will most likely do fine.

veggieshark
How many snails do you want to keep? I think a single mystery snail could work.

Luka89
Don’t do what I did and get Ramshorns, they reproduce like crazy and then they’re virtually impossible to eradicate.

Maxwell09
carsonsgjs said:
I think nerites tick all the boxes that you have set out. No need to worry about sexing as their eggs wont hatch unless they are in salt/brackish water.

I picked up a bunch a few days ago and im really impressed by their cleaning abilities.
Thing is the eggs, that are very hard to get off
R3licx said:
I have 2 Mystery snails and 2 Black Devil Spike Snails. Id say ether of them would be good for your tank.
Black devils would work in a 7?
animalgirl257 said:
mystery snails?
Yeah i was thinking of those. I had one once.
Hairy snails?

R3licx
Maxwell09 said:
Thing is the eggs, that are very hard to get off

Black devils would work in a 7?

Yeah i was thinking of those. I had one once.
Hairy snails?
Depends how big they are at first. but eventually i would move them to a 10 gallon.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom