5 Gallon Tank What snail is this?

SpottedKit329

I have a snail i got from petco but I don't know what kind it is. It's name is Bob lives with my male betta fish named Pepsi,
No there is no fighting I know of between them. Recently I found a baby snail hanging on the glass, it was slightly see through and I haven't seen the baby since, I don't know the gender of Bob either. Maybe he is actually a she but the egg might have been on his/her shell? In short need help identifying the type of snail.
It is yellow with a little flat black circle thing on it and it has a spiraling brown shell, here are pictures.

Also he likes to climb on the glass and eat the algae
Also there are 2 live plants in the tank

Attachments

• IMG_2125.JPG
    IMG_2125.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2126.JPG
    IMG_2126.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2127.JPG
    IMG_2127.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2128.JPG
    IMG_2128.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2131.JPG
    IMG_2131.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 37

grac3

pictures are really blurry, but Bob is probably a rabbit snail

Upvote 0

Biz

idk about the snail, but have you thought about giving your betta buddy some fresh water?

Upvote 0

TheAnglerAquarist

idk about the snail, but have you thought about giving your betta buddy some fresh water?
Yeah the water doesn’t look very good. I would do an immidiate 50 percent water change

Just an FYI you should do weekly water changes to keep everything healthy

Upvote 0

SpottedKit329

Ok! also the algae in Pepsi's tank is doing WAY better then my main tank
And the water got a little low so my mom added fresh water

And the photo looks blurry because I'm using an iPad here's a few pictures of him not in his shell

Here is my main tank with around 30+ baby guppies (it's hard to count them because they move around a lot)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 20
Upvote 0

Roman96

Your problem is probably lack of water changes leading to fish waster accumulating in large amounts. This results in not only a dangerous environment for the fish, but an adequate place for algae to grow. Start doing 50% weekly waterchanges and you'll probably see a decline in algae.

Upvote 0

SpottedKit329

Your problem is probably lack of water changes leading to fish waster accumulating in large amounts. This results in not only a dangerous environment for the fish, but an adequate place for algae to grow. Start doing 50% weekly waterchanges and you'll probably see a decline in algae.
Yeah, my mom does the water changes but I help.
And I'm mainly focusing on my Parakeets I got recently. They are so cute! 3 males 3 females, speaking of them in a few minutes I need to go cover their cages so they will sleep

Upvote 0

grac3

Oh god, that water is so gross :( when was the last time you did a water change?

Upvote 0

SpottedKit329

Oh god, that water is so gross :( when was the last time you did a water change?
It's mostly algae I think and i will do a water change as soon as I can

Upvote 0

richiep

Sorry to say but I hope you don't neglect your parakeets like you've neglected your fish, if you can't look after your pets please think of giving them away

Upvote 0

SpottedKit329

Sorry to say but I hope you don't neglect your parakeets like you've neglected your fish, if you can't look after your pets please think of giving them away
I am trying to take good care of them. But you are kind of right, I am bad at remembering to do water changes I will set a alarm or something to remind me

Also, your a good person.
almost no one would say something like that, but it is something very important to say. I admire that

Upvote 0

richiep

Thats great it only takes a small amount of time , dont rely on your mum to do it, show her your taking responsibility for your pets, once you get into a routine it'll be easy, show us here what you can do by starting with your beta tank then post some pictures

Upvote 0

SpottedKit329

I set an alarm to change the water in both the fish tanks, And clean the birds litter and toys. For Pepsi's tank, should I do a 20% water change? And maybe a 30% for the main tank? I have; 3 female guppies 3 male guppies 3 albino Cory catfish (haven't looked at how to tell gender yet but I saw eggs so there's a male and female)
3 spotted cory cats and 2 Kuhli Loaches in the main tank. Which is artificial but I will soon turn into a natural tank,

Then a male betta (Pepsi) and 1 snail, Which are friendly to each other. in a natural tank

Upvote 0

richiep

I'd do 50% change in both tanks don't forget to add dechloranter, give the glass a good wipe do them all once then spread it over a few days so do a fish tank one day then bird the next then the other tank, you'll be surprised how quick you can do it and your birds and fish will be a lot healthier and live longer

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Also to add to richiep's post you can use something as easy as a used up gift card to scrape at least your front glass so you can see your fish better. :) In additition I would fill them a little bit more to give them some more swimming space. more water gives it more time to get as bad. You still will want to change water every week though. ;) Do you have a gravel vacuum?

Upvote 0

TheAnglerAquarist

Jeez that was a lot of agrees.., haha
Anyways yes 50 percent water change in both tanks and what star girl said was great I’d manually get rid of some algae because the snail won’t do it that fast giving it time to grow more.

Upvote 0

SpottedKit329

Ok I will do that today
I have a vaccum for fish food on the fish tank floor but not a gravel one

Upvote 0

TheAnglerAquarist

Ok I will do that today
I have a vaccum for fish food on the fish tank floor but not a gravel one
They are the same thing

Upvote 0

SpottedKit329

Oh ok
I will feed them then clean the tank
I did it
Also to add to richiep's post you can use something as easy as a used up gift card to scrape at least your front glass so you can see your fish better. :) In additition I would fill them a little bit more to give them some more swimming space. more water gives it more time to get as bad. You still will want to change water every week though. ;) Do you have a gravel vacuum?
I did it.
Before:
And... (drumroll please)...
After!
I left a little algae for the snail

Attachments

• IMG_2125.JPG
    IMG_2125.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2126.JPG
    IMG_2126.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2127.JPG
    IMG_2127.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2142.JPG
    IMG_2142.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2143.JPG
    IMG_2143.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2144.JPG
    IMG_2144.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2145.JPG
    IMG_2145.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2146.JPG
    IMG_2146.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2147.JPG
    IMG_2147.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 13
Upvote 0

StarGirl

Good job! Is there a lid on the betta tank? Fill that puppy up to the top ;) You are only using 3g of your 5g right now. Make sure the water is close to the same temperature of the tank too. :)

Upvote 0

SpottedKit329

The thing is the kit for the 5gal tank didn't have anything to check the temperature.
I will start looking for something though

Upvote 0

StarGirl

The thing is the kit for the 5gal tank didn't have anything to check the temperature.
I will start looking for something though
You can use your hand and get it pretty close. You just don't want pure cold or too warm of water. It is too much of a shock if it is way different than the tank.

Upvote 0

SpottedKit329

You can use your hand and get it pretty close. You just don't want pure cold or too warm of water. It is too much of a shock if it is way different than the tank.
it's a little cold but not to hot or cold

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Is there a heater? If you live in a warm climate you generally dont need one but bettas like heaters too. They like it around 78*.

Upvote 0

SpottedKit329

No but I have a heater in the main tank, also I will need one for the winter since I live in Wisconsin

Upvote 0

SpottedKit329

Okay

Upvote 0

richiep

Great to see the change in the tank well done
Future cleaning won't take as long if you keep ontop of things

Upvote 0

pagoda

Just remember when testing water temp with your hand that your blood temp is usually significantly higher than the water needs to be and thus the water will feel quite chilly to you.

Get a thermometer to dip the water...easier and far more accurate than your hand.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • SpottedKit329
  • Snails
Replies
Views
Revvex
  • Question
5 Gallon Tank What snail is this
Replies
Views