What Snail Is This?

Kylee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I bought a snail at my LFS today, and they are usually really knowledgeable about their fish. Only one tank had snails and the three listed were: black mystery, ivory, and gold mystery snails. I personally saw no ivory or black mystery snails, just the gold and the ones that look like mine. I asked the lady if the other snails were nerites and maybe there was a mistake. She insisted the one I got and the others that look like him are ivory snails, but I personally think he looks like the nerite I already have in my tank.
What does everyone think? His shell is cracked and two different colors, which makes me second guess myself and wonder if he looks different because his shell is messed up.
20180521_230928.jpg
20180521_230940.jpg
20180521_231038.jpg

Kylee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
75g Discus Tank said:
Olive nerite. They are good algae eaters. Just not as nice as some other nerite patterns(IMO, they are still nice).
Thank you!! I knew it wasn't an ivory snail, but just let it go lol. I still think he's cute, especially once his poor shell heals!

Kylee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
ASHLEY R COOK said:
Do their shells heal? I thought they didn't.
Yes they can, although the older they are the harder it gets. My first snail has never grown his back but the snail in this picture has already shown improvement. The biggest thing they need is calcium. As long as the crack is only on the shell and their body isn't affected, they are usually fine.

This website is a good reference!
Broken/Chipped Shell / Snail Problems

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom