What Size? Question 

Simey28

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hey Guys

I picked up a male Convict a week ago (along with 2 Texas Cichlids) and thought he might like a female, so I picked one up today (from a different LFS).

My question is at what size do they start breeding, I have read a few things but thought I might ask people who have actually had a pair of convicts breed.

The Male in my tank is about 1 1/2 Inches and the female is 1 Inch.

Also he seems very interested in her, he flairs his gills and swims around her but she is more interested in the java moss I have in the tank (though she has only been in the tank less than 3 hours). Do they always pair up? or is there a chance they will not breed?

Any help would be great,

Thanks

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
They're both big enough to spawn. What size tank are they in? Who are their tankmates?

Simey28

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Their tank mates are:
1 - Black Belt Cichlid, 2 - Texas Cichlids and a clown loach. They are all about the same size in a 55 gallon (The BB is abit bigger though). I have a 70g that I am setting up within the next few months (hopefully next month) where I will move all the fish except the cons.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
if they breed, they will tear up the clownie ....

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Once they get accustomed to the tank, they'll probably spawn, hopefully after you get the clown loach out of there. He's not tough enough to withstand convict aggression.

Simey28

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Okay,
I hope they do breed, the female has some awesome colours.
The clownie will be re-homed to my friends tank if they are to aggressive for him.

Also what signs will she give if she is interested or if they have paired up?

Cheers for the answers so far

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Simey28 said:
Okay,
The clownie will be re-homed to my friends tank if they are to aggressive for him.
Please don't wait for that to happen..as it most certainly will...and the clownie could be dead before you realize it
Also what signs will she give if she is interested or if they have paired up?

Cheers for the answers so far
they will both flair/lip lock/swI'm around eachother and start digging out an area to spawn..you will see lots of subtrate being moved and such..her orange/red on her belly, will get very vibrant..not all m/f combos pair up..sometimes one or the other will kill as they don't care for eachother...so its a hit or miss...if they have been hanging out so far, they probably are going to be ok

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They got you covered on the cons, here is my opinion on the others.

If you are interested in breeding cichlids the Texas (Herichthys Carpintis) is a nice one to do. They look nice all the time, they are aggressive but not over the top most of the time, and their color change at spawning is outstanding.

Now the Black Belt (Vieja Maculicauda) is an awesome fish. Feed lots of veggies. Excellent looking cichlid once it gets a little size. The problem with them is this, males are mature at around 7" and once they hit that something usually goes wrong. If it is with other fish or other Maculicauda when a male hits that 7" range they lose their minds and more often than not they kill off the tank. Which really sucks if you are planning on spawning them because you put the time into them and then they turn, I know you have one and probably are not planning on breeding but just thought I would tell you.

Brian

Simey28

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Shawnie said:
Please don't wait for that to happen..as it most certainly will...and the clownie could be dead before you realize it
I took your advice Shawnie and my friend will be here in less then an hour to get him, now the hard part is catching him. I am at my friends house all the time so I will see him still which is good .

Thanks for all the tips Brian.
I am not sure if I have a male/female Texas but I love the colours on them and if I could breed them that would be great.

I have to say my Black Belt is one of the more interesting fish I have ever owned, You can see him/her thinking especially when there are feeder yabbies in the tank. I swear it is calculating the best way to attack them.

Just an update on my Cons, they seem to be hanging out together which is a good sign so hopefully that means they have paired up.

Appreciate all the help and advice so far, keep it coming.

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I suggest you get the Clown Loach out of there ASAP, and when the Convicts spawn(which is most certain), They will OWN the whole tank. I kept an Oscar with Convicts.. and they completely ripped him to shreds. I was gone for 3 days and I came home to a dead Oscar and a pair of Convicts guarding their eggs.

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If your convict are male and female the pair up is almost inevitable.

Bent72

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
firemouthfreak said:
I suggest you get the Clown Loach out of there ASAP, and when the Convicts spawn(which is most certain), They will OWN the whole tank. I kept an Oscar with Convicts.. and they completely ripped him to shreds. I was gone for 3 days and I came home to a dead Oscar and a pair of Convicts guarding their eggs.
that's sad to hear I had a breeding pair of cons with an oscar and nothing like that happend of course the oscar got tired of the aggresion and ate the male con lol

Simey28

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
firemouthfreak said:
If you notice in the post I said he was being picked up in an hour which he was. My pair aren't even super aggressive my 2 juvenile Texas cichlids can match them at this point (They have laid eggs) Not to mention my black belt won't back down from anything so it is all pretty even at this point, no bullying.

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Simey28 said:
If you notice in the post I said he was being picked up in an hour which he was. My pair aren't even super aggressive my 2 juvenile Texas cichlids can match them at this point (They have laid eggs) Not to mention my black belt won't back down from anything so it is all pretty even at this point, no bullying.
Well that's what I thought too.. I had my Convicts for a week :/

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads