What Size Tank Should I Get For What I Have

1. Windextor

Windextor New Member Member

For my birthday my fiance gave me an aquarium and then a month later gave me fish. Well we (he) kind of got ahead of ourselves because he only gave me a 60 gallon tank but we now have too many large fish. We are looking to buy a much larger aquarium now but wanted to know how big should I go? Right now all of my fish are around 4 inches except the convict who is 2 inches. I have 2 green terrors (mated pair) 2 jack dempseys (pair) an oscar, a convict and a pleco. They're all vibrant healthy fish with very little aggression other than when my terrors bred. The female is now in a separate tank. I may keep the terrors in the 60 gallon alone after i get the larger tank but I haven't decided yet how I want to stock which tank just yet. Any suggestions on stocking and what size large tank I should get?

2. Kenny777

Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

Most likely a 150gallon+ but I'll suggest a 300gallon+ IMO

3. S

Sepehr Well Known Member Member

Hello!
    I would go with a 200 gallon
    What kind of Pleco do you have?
    Oscar is not eating your other fish?

4. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

You would probably be able to keep the convict in the 60 gallon, but not the Green Terrors. The other fish will need at least 200 gallons and a very powerful filter system.

5. Kenny777

It may seem extreme but most of your fish will exceed over 1foot.
    Convicts usually get about 6in.

Green terrors and Jack Dempseys usually get about 12in maybe more.

Oscars can reach about 12-14in maybe even more

And some plecos can reach more than a foot. What pleco do you have btw.

6. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to fishlore!

I would recommend a minimum of 200 gallons. The cichlids are large and territorial so each need a space to call their own. If that pleco is a common pleco then it by itself needs 180 gallons minimum as it gets to 2 feet long.

7. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I agree with BD.

8. OP
    OP
    Windextor

I believe its a common pleco. The fish store said it was a bristlenose and he was tiny when I got him but he is pushing 5 inches and Ive only had him since May. By far the fastest growing fish in the tank. My Oscar is pretty chill. He is like a little puppy always begging for food and getting attention. He will occasionally chase the other fish when he is begging but thats it. He is the boss of the tank but really all of my fish are good with each other. I know a guy selling a 225 gallon but it is more tall. I'd rather a longer tank which has proven hard to find at a decent price :(

9. Kenny777

Can you send a picture.

10. OP
    OP
    Windextor

11. OP
    OP
    Windextor

12. Kenny777

13. Littlebudda

Littlebudda Well Known Member Member

I'd be going 300gal at least

14. OP
    OP
    Windextor

any tips on finding tanks? ive looked on facebook marketplace, craigslist, letgo, offerup and havent seen anything. All of the fish stores in my area do not carry large tanks either :(

15. TwoHedWlf

TwoHedWlf Well Known Member Member

Yup, that's definitely not a bristlenose. Common looks about right.