What Size Tank Is Best For An Angelfish?

1. F

Fish30451 Initiate Member

A local fish store near me has some really nice angels that I’ve been interested in since I found the store around a year ago. I have a 38 gallon tank with an aquatech 30-60 filter, and was wondering if a large, full grown angelfish would be happy and comfortable in this size tank. He’d most likely be the only fish in it or with some panda cories for the bottom. Would it be best to hold off on a full grown angelfish until I can afford a larger tank, which could honestly be years, or would he be comfortable in the 38g?

2. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

A 29 is the smallest recommended size on here. However the panda cories are not temp compatible with the angel (so i would pick a different cory cat to have with him and you can do a species of larger schooling fish if you like is a 38).

3. OP
    OP
    F

Fish30451 Initiate Member

Would the angel and a group of maybe 5 rummy nose tetras work, or would it be overcrowded?

4. Mcasella

It would work, you likely can go up a couple more on the rummys as well.

5. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Well Known Member Member

Sterbai Cories will do well in warmer water. You could do 6 Sterbai Cories, 6 Rummynose Tetra, and one Angel.

6. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

Agreed.

8-9 rummy noses would be great with 1 angel.

Rummy nose are good to about 80 degrees but I would keep the tank around 78.

They are a little picky/sensitive to water parameters so the tank will need to be well maintained for them to thrive.

Your 38 is fine for this stocking but note that angels don’t like a lot of current.

6 sterbia corys would also work on the bottom.

7. Mcasella

they handle medium current fine, which will suit the rummynose pace just fine.

8. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Well Known Member Member

I was going to suggest more Tetra, but your filter is actually under filtering from a gallons per hour standpoint. In my honest opinion, I don’t like those filters very much.