What size tank do Pirahnas need? Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Hershey1, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Hershey1

Hershey1 Valued Member Member

I was wondering what size of a tank pirahnas need just brainstorming. How many do three and five need?

2. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

What species, remember your going to want schools, big schools and seperate tanks. This way you can hospitalize any damaged fish. Be sure to do plenty of research before getting any. But again, what species of Piranha?

3. OP
    OP
    Hershey1

Hershey1 Valued Member Member

Probaly the smallest possible. I dont thin k i am going to get any just for the future.

4. B

Borisbbadd Guest

The only person I ever knew who had them, kept them in a 100 gallon tank. He had 4 of them.

5. Wendy Lubianetsky

Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

I would definately say anywhere from 100 to 150 gallons would be a minium for a small school of them.

6. soltarianknight

Agreed. Even the smaller species are still large fish. Large being 5-6" for me :p. But they do need room to swim, very active from what ive seen.

7. Sharkdude

Sharkdude Well Known Member Member

Also as a note do a fishless cycle and hold it for a while as all members of the same group need to be introduced at the same time. Anything put in after is fair game to them. Yes I would say at least a 125 or 6' tank will be minimum as my LFS has 8 in a 55 and they don't move very often. Lastly make sure they are legal to sell, own and purchase in your local area.

8. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I had been looking into them as a possible for a large tank, but after reading up on people that keep them I found that they are a VERY boring fish to watch, usually just kinda hanging there in the water.

Also as to the Laws in your area, make sure to read the law fully, I know there are a lot of fish up here in new england that can be bought in some states and not others, HOWEVER it is not illegal for you to buy it in the other state and drive it across into the state that they are illegal to sell in. The only time that comes into play is if you OWN a fish store and sell as a business. Other than that you just can't buy them. Kinda weird how the laws get worded sometimes but hey if I can still have the fish I'm all for it.

I would also agree that you need AT LEAST a 125gal tank the bigger the better, these fish can take up large territories and travel in very large groups most of the time.

9. soltarianknight

Ah yes, adding any fish after the initial stocking you normally need to go through some pretty extensive breaking up of the tank and group. We had a guy on the betta forum im on who was BIG on piranha, he said that he added 2 more to his school after 3 months, they were cannibalized and they school ate one of its original members in the frenzy of it all. They are intresting to me lol. They have beautiful color and charm. Even if they remain still.

10. CichlidSWAGA

CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

+1 to pirahnah

My LFS has a 150g in the back room with red bellies. Its a Amazonian bio type very cool tank but the fish never move, and when you put in a feeder fish most of the time they don't even care about it they will nibble every now and then but.... not much action. They love blood worms and breed like crazy.

If you are looking for a cool aggressive shoaling fish look at the exodon tetra. IMO one of the coolest shoaling fish there is

11. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

12. soltarianknight

Many piranha keepers will actually recommend getting your fish onto dead meat. Just because unless your breeding your own feeders you it can be risky with store bought, so dont get a fish just because of its dietary habits :p

13. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Legal in your state?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice