What Size Fish Tank Is This?

1. Mojo!

Mojo! Member Member

Within the next month, my brothers girlfriend may be giving me her fish tank. My job is to get it back into healthy shape. I need to know the tank size however. I estimate around 3-5 gal. If it's closer to 3 I will get a betta and if it's 5 either a betta or African dwarf frogs.

3be8b8c66a8c4239cf206594c5e12046.jpg 5c8698bcddc84a411fef63a9e523800d.jpg d22a7c705f6b9613588e62d325acaf8a.jpg 19f8306326468b8dc5722d0620e920e3.jpg

I just need a size estimatw

And DONT ask any other questions I know what I'm doing

I plan to get a heater, silk plants, and I already have betta food

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!

Simple math :)

V= radius^2 x 3.14 x height

And divide by 231 to get gallons (make sure you measure in inches!)

Hope this helps and best of luck!

3. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

3 gallons

4. OP
    OP
    Mojo!

Mojo! Member Member

Ok thanks

Does that look too small for African dwarf frogs?

5. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

It looks like a terrible footprint for just about anything.

6. OP
    OP
    Mojo!

Mojo! Member Member

What? Restate that

Well whatever size it is do you guys think it will be good for adf or is it too small

If it's too small I will get a betta

7. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

What he means by footprint is the area of the floor space (think of it as swimming space). it's much to small to keep anything because of it; even a Betta. Betta do like to swim and need length more than height. Even for frogs, they would appreciate much more of an area to swim along the bottom (they aren't much for height either), and do better in groups as they are quote social. You could do a shrimp tank :)

8. yasha

yasha Well Known Member Member

Most fish like a wider and longer swim area aka horizontal. All I can really see for it would maybe be shrimp. Both the frog and betta would like a shallow long/wide(horizontal room) tank not a tall with one with only vertical swimming space. Small shrimp with tall plants and wood maybe nice tho.

9. unangrybird

unangrybird Member Member

I believe these are sold as Beta tanks but that doesn't mean they are ideal for housing them.

10. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

I just feel bad for that calico goldfish thats currently in their :(

11. OP
    OP
    Mojo!

Mojo! Member Member

So what can live in there?

I think I'm going to go with a betta for start and see how it acts. I mean I'm buying it from a store that sells them in fish bowls. Better than that at least. It will have a heater/filter. And a pellet bloodworm shrimp diet

12. yasha

yasha Well Known Member Member

As I said shrimp may work nicely. Something like cherry shrimp, there is a lot of other types/colors of small shrimp that may work. But shrimp is about the only thing I can think of. Shrimp with some small pieces of wood going to the top of the tank. Some moss on the wood and other small plants like, Anubias Nana and Marimo Moss balls. Would need some ok lighting for that tho and to make sure there's no holes in the top they can get out of.

13. BReefer97

BReefer97 Well Known Member Member

It would work for a betta fish, but barely. NO African dwarf frogs please! That tank is too tall for them. They need to be able to reach the surface of the water easily so they can breathe.

14. OP
    OP
    Mojo!

Mojo! Member Member

I will try betta, I won't do adf

It's better than living in a bowl

I can always move tanks too if worst comes to worst

15. Millerific

Millerific Member Member

I think you should do a shrimp tank, like someone else suggested. A Betta probably won't like it in their.

16. OP
    OP
    Mojo!

Mojo! Member Member

Would he prefer to be in a bowl? All of us are about the only people who know not to keep bettas in bowls. If I don't buy it someone else will and keep him in a bowl

17. j

jlm418 Member Member

It's 3 gallons I bought the same for my betta and he hated it. Plus it's horrible for viewing. Put shrimp in it.

18. OP
    OP
    Mojo!

Mojo! Member Member

Ok, reply to my cherry shrimp care thread and explain their needs

If I get a betta I plan to get a silk plant instead and get a 78° heater

19. S

Stephen Hiatt Well Known Member Member

According to my math, that tank is too small for a goldfish.

20. OP
    OP
    Mojo!

Mojo! Member Member

I said betta not gold