What Size Filter Do I Need For A 37g?

aced it
I'm doing my first real aquarium build this summer, and I'm very confused about filtration. The tank is 37 gallons and I want to use a sponge filter in it, but I have no idea of what size air pump/powerhead I'd need or how to set one up. I don't even have a specific question, I'm just generally confused about the whole process.

Krysty
What fish are you getting? You don't necessarily NEED an air pump or powerhead if you have a good filter.

aced it
I'm planning on getting a pair of angelfish and 6 or so sterbaI corys. I thought you needed an air pump or a powerhead to power a sponge filter?

Krysty
oh, ok, I misunderstood. I have never used that type of filter. Does the filter you are using have a website? Maybe they have more info.

aced it
I'm not sure, I can try to find one.

Lacey D
I'm doing my first real aquarium build this summer, and I'm very confused about filtration. The tank is 37 gallons and I want to use a sponge filter in it, but I have no idea of what size air pump/powerhead I'd need or how to set one up. I don't even have a specific question, I'm just generally confused about the whole process.
I'm also in the process of building a 37 gallon with sponge filters, because I will have fry in it and don't want them harmed Besides, I'm old-school, and aquariums are supposed to bubble

is my favorite brand (but really they're all pretty much the same, give or take), and when going with a sponge filter it's not a bad idea to go with a higher volume rating than you need...but the trade off is that it takes up a larger part of your aquarium and they're not very attractive There is a video embedded in this link though which talks about sponge vs other filtration (don't pay attention to the filter Cory is holding--he bought that during a trip to Hong Kong just because it's crazy-massive and isn't what this "large" size looks like.)
The alternative to one large filter is multiple smaller filter. You can run them off a single air pump with a splitter in the hose. This can be a better idea that one large one, because not only are they easier to hide, but you can have a schedule to clean one per week every month (or so), and this cuts down on the odds of a cycle crash if you disturb too much of the bacteria at once. The Small is rated from 5-20 gallons (and there are people who say it's good up to 30), and so 2 or 3 of these are what I am going with.
As for air pump, just look at the gallons it is rated for, and again, going higher doesn't hurt, especially if you have a splitter with valve control. I have a Whisper, and despite their claims they are NOT completely quiet, but if you make sure it's not vibrating against anything you can do a lot to reduce the noise. I've never found it overwhelming--it runs right under my son's loft bed, and I think it and the sounds of bubbles act like a white noise machine

Oh, and welcome to Fish Lore <3

AquaticJ
You can actually build your own, Ive done that. In a 37gal, I’d get two of these and place them in opposite sides of the tank HikarI Bacto-Surge High Density Foam Filter, Large so both sides also have surface agitation. I’d get an air pump rated for double your tank size, and get an air tube splitter so you can use one air pump for both of the sponge filters.

aced it
Thank you both so much! This helps a lot. I really like the idea of doing 2 or 3 smaller filters instead of one big one

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views
Lewisccccccccccc
Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views