What size filter comes with Aqueon 29 gallon kit? Question

1. roterhund Initiate Member

Hi,

This is kind of a dumb question….but I have a 29 gallon tank that came as a kit (Aqueon) -- so it has a HOB Aqueon Power Flow filter but I don't know if it's a Power Flow 20 or 30. I tried calling Aqueon to ask but nobody answers the phone there! So, I thought someone here might know. I'm thinking it's probably a 20 but would like to know for sure….is there any way to tell, or does somebody happen to know offhand which filter that kit comes with?

Thanks!
    Jenny

2. Jim Well Known Member Member

Measure across the widest part of the top. If it measures 7 1/4 then it's a 20, if it measures 8 1/4 then it is a 30

PS: no question is dumb if you are trying to learn. Keep asking and learn, as I did more than 60 years ago.

3. JeffK Well Known Member Member

I went through the same search when I first got my aqueon 29 kit - mine was a 20, and I found it to be somewhat inadequate - I upgraded to an Aqueon 55/75 and love it - lots of room for extra filter media!

4. roterhund Initiate Member

Thank you both! It is indeed a 20 based on the measurement. I was thinking about adding a second filter but perhaps just upgrading is the way to go? What do the experts recommend? :)

My 29 gallon tank currently houses 2 male guppies, 4 neon tetras, 4 cory cats and 1 BN pleco. I would like to add 2 or 4 more tetras as well as some kind of a centerpiece fish (still trying to decide what!) and AqAdvisor is telling me I need to up my filtration. I know it is good to have two filters so in case one fails you've still got one going….but that's a lot of clutter for a 29 gallon tank….any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!

5. Jim Well Known Member Member

A 29 is what, 30 inches wide. I'd go with an AQ 50 or 55/75. If you're going to stick with AQs then buy filter padding and cut your own, much cheaper than buying cartridges. Try kensfish?com for excellent prices and a variety of HOBs.

6. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

They don't make it very clear, i know! I got a 36 gallon bowfront and it came with the 30 which is not enough filtration so I ended up putting an additional one ( 55/75 )
    Now I have a 72 gallon bowfront and I bought another 55/75 so running 2.
    No such thing as "too much" filtration but as I learned with my 36 gallon, the 30 wasn't cutting it by itself ( tank wouldn't cycle after 4 months ) and it was only after I added the 55/75 that it finally did!

Good luck. I really like the Aqueon filters for HOB's.

Tags: