What Size Containers Are Ideal For Breeding Setups?

Discussion in 'Betta Breeding' started by Cori Elizabeth, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Cori Elizabeth

Cori ElizabethWell Known MemberMember

So far I've been keeping my males in my 12 Litre frosted tubs and the 11 females in a sorority and that's been going pretty well, but I'm looking to get more males and not sure what's the most efficient size for them?

2. KaderTheAnt

KaderTheAntWell Known MemberMember

Are you looking to purchase more males? Or breeding?

3. OP
    OP
    Cori Elizabeth

I want to purchase more males and start setting up a more professional breeding set up as I get more serious with it

4. KaderTheAnt

Ooh. Well here's my two cents

When I breed, I do it in either a 5 gallon(if I know the male is on the nicer side) a 10 gallon(when I'm unsure or he's in the middle) or a 20 gallon high (when the male is on the aggressive side) and I won't use anything higher than a 20 gallon high. My reasoning is because with bettas, spacing is usually a super aggressive task. That's why my 5 spawns are usually with my bettas who have spawned and not tore a fin. With anything above a 20H in length, this gives he female more area to get away and hide, which can be a bit of problematic . If the female can almost completely escape the aggression then the male will either 1. Continue his aggressions or 2. Have a harder time luring her under the nest making the breeding more time consuming which can be very stressful for the female.

5. OP
    OP
    Cori Elizabeth

I use 12 Litre spawning tanks but I'm looking for jars to store the males in on their own, sorry if that wasn't clear im pretty bad at explaining

6. KaderTheAnt

That's fine! I use old bread jars that I wash out. I'll take a picture and give it to you

7. OP
    OP
    Cori Elizabeth

Thanks :) I was thinking of buying frosted jars in bulk from a plastic supplier but just not sure what's too small or if i go too big if it's not efficient for space

8. KaderTheAnt

The bread jars are about 1.5gallons so I have to do water changes everyday. If you can I'd get a bunch of 2.5 gallon tubs

9. OP
    OP
    Cori Elizabeth

Right now I have 3 gallon tubs, should i just get more of those?

10. KaderTheAnt

If you can I would

11. OP
    OP
    Cori Elizabeth

then ill continue getting those

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice