Which air pump?

• 20-40 gallon air pump

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40-60 gallon air pump

Votes: 7 100.0%

• Total voters

fishyfriends876

Hello!

I have a 29-gallon aquarium and I will be using a 60-gallon sponge filter for it. What size air pump should I get?

Should I just get the recommended size for the tank (20-40 gallon pump, since my fish tank is 29 gallons) or should I get the pump according to my sponge filter's size (40-60 gallon pump, since the sponge filter, is for tanks up to 60 gallons)?

I am using this tank to breed guppies, and my sponge filter will be the only method of filtration.

Thank you! :)

AJE

I would get which ever is cheaper as they will bot do pretty much what you need them ti in a 29

fishyfriends876

AJE said:
I would get which ever is cheaper as they will bot do pretty much what you need them ti in a 29
The 40-60 gallon is only $3 more expensive :)

AquaticQueen

I would go with the 40-60 gallon pump then.
fishyfriends876 said:
The 40-60 gallon is only $3 more expensive :)

StarGirl

Smaller is going to be quieter if thats a issue for you....;)

fishyfriends876

StarGirl said:
Smaller is going to be quieter if thats a issue for you....;)
I'm not really bothered by the noise.
The filter's effectiveness is my top priority.

Islandvic

Tank sizes for filters, air pumps, etc are all arbitrary...

Brands have no way of knowing how your tank is stocked.

It's easier to get equipment that's "larger" than you need.

I would suggest to run two sponge filters.

That way the 2nd one can be pulled out and placed in a 5 gallon bucket to have an instantly cycled quarantine/hospital tank.

A Tetra 60 or Fluval Q1 airpump would be more than sufficient. They have dual outlets.

RayClem

It is best not to get a pump that is too large. The issue is that the pump will try to put out more air than you need. You either have to bleed off the excess air, which is noisy, or you have to install a needle valve to control the flow. The needle valve will cause the pressure to build up within the pump. This excess pressure will shorten the lifespan of the diaphragm and flapper valves used in the pump. That is why they make air pumps in a variety of sizes.

I do agree with the suggestion to install a second sponge filter in the tank. The extra filtration capacity might not be needed at first, but if your breeding program is successful, you will soon have a lot of fish in the tank.

Top Bottom