What Shrimp Would You Recommend?

KaitlynR

HI all

I currently have a 10 gallon tank stocked with KuhlI Loaches, CPDs, and Scarlet Badis. I also have MTS, nerite snails, and a few pond snails!

I'm hoping to be able to put shrimp in my tank eventually, but am not sure what would go best with my current stock. Do I need to worry too much about my fish eating shrimp?

I will admit I'm not a fan of the amano or ghost shrimp..

I once saw these bright yellow ones at my LFS and was in awe. Now they just had RCS and these bright orange ones.. Occasionally they carry some blue.

I'm not very knowledgeable on shrimp, so if there are any resources you'd recommend I check out, please share

Thanks!

Any suggestions?

Notivation

Hiya! I've found that my RCS are quite fun little guys, but if you're looking at them from a more practical sense of "what they can do for me," you're going to need a big colony of them to make a dent in cleaning. If you're looking for more interesting live action at the bottom of the aquarium, RCS are for you! I've found my little guys to have funny personalities. Whenever I drop algae wafers in, they all fight over it by whapping each other with their antennae, then usually they dart away and leave the biggest one to eat. Sometimes, they'll intentionally swim up the filter to grab some snacks from up there and swim back down when they're done. A bit pricey, but fun critters indeed.

FishRFriendz

I'd worry about the loach eating shrimp. Toss in a ghost shrimp to see. If it survives a week then go get whatever color you really want.

MattS99

I'd go with amano shrimp. Bigger and they'll take care of some algae.

clk89

KuhlI loaches won't eat the shrimp. CPDs and scarlet badis might eat the shrimplets especially with the dwarf shrimp. Personally I have blue dream shrimp, their care is the same as the cherry shrimp. Just have to feed them, and keep the parameters of the water good. Mine live with snails in a ten gallon and have been breeding a nice little shrimp colony. The one thing I will mention with shrimp is in general the same species type shouldn't be mixed in the same tank or else the babies will revert back to a plain brown. I wouldn't put my blue dream with cherry shrimp because they are both neocaridina davidI (scientific name).

You do have one stocking issue if you are willing to talk about it?

KaitlynR

KuhlI loaches won't eat the shrimp. CPDs and scarlet badis might eat the shrimplets especially with the dwarf shrimp. Personally I have blue dream shrimp, their care is the same as the cherry shrimp. Just have to feed them, and keep the parameters of the water good. Mine live with snails in a ten gallon and have been breeding a nice little shrimp colony. The one thing I will mention with shrimp is in general the same species type shouldn't be mixed in the same tank or else the babies will revert back to a plain brown. I wouldn't put my blue dream with cherry shrimp because they are both neocaridina davidI (scientific name).

You do have one stocking issue if you are willing to talk about it?

Okay, cool! Thank you!

Yeah, we can discuss it. I'm assuming its the Loaches?

Culprit

Basically with a Scarlet badis I would assume its going to eat the babies of RCS. If you have plenty of hiding spots RCS (also the blue ones, yellow, and orange, they all are neocaridinia probably) should be able to have a colony but you won't see them just out in the open. As long as they are neocaridinia they will be fine. Like others have said, I would put in a few as small as possible ghost shrimp and see if they get eaten. If they don't, go ahead and get at least 5. Preferbly 10-15.

KaitlynR

Basically with a Scarlet badis I would assume its going to eat the babies of RCS. If you have plenty of hiding spots RCS (also the blue ones, yellow, and orange, they all are neocaridinia probably) should be able to have a colony but you won't see them just out in the open. As long as they are neocaridinia they will be fine. Like others have said, I would put in a few as small as possible ghost shrimp and see if they get eaten. If they don't, go ahead and get at least 5. Preferbly 10-15.

Got it, thank you

It's funny, my little noodles are way more interested in algae wafers and cucumbers than they are in the brine shrimp I feed them... Curious to see how they react when they get ghost shrimp- alive and moving might convince them lol

clk89

Okay, cool! Thank you!

Yeah, we can discuss it. I'm assuming its the Loaches?

Yup I was going to mention that the loaches need a bigger tank then a ten gallon.

KaitlynR

Yup I was going to mention that the loaches need a bigger tank then a ten gallon.

Yeah, It seems a lot of people prefer to put loaches in a larger tank, but they have such a low bio load and really stick to the bottom of the tank except for during the night or before it rains, and I've never had any issues. They are constantly out and about, have beautiful colors.. I even have a pregnant female at the moment Everyone seems very happy and playful. I did a lot of research and decided to go for it. Thank you for the concern, though. If something happens that worries me, I will definitely look into getting a larger tank for them. I keep a close eye on all of the fish in my tank. Thanks!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Floundering_Around
Replies
Views
Dori.anne
Replies
Views
angelcraze
Replies
Views