What shrimp with my otos and molly fry?

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
HI Fishlorians

I am toying with the idea of shrimps (or a shrimp) for my oto tank. The tank's tiny (5G) and I use it as a grow out tank for a handful of molly fry. It's also had some success in otos breeding and I'd like to repeat the experience.

Wouldnt' the shrimp eat the oto eggs and fry, or the molly fry?

Advertisement
Depends on the kind of shrimp for eatting the fry, but the eggs will be eatten by most any living organism that can reach them, long as they aren't actively guarded.

Advertisement
Mmmmh, in a way, that wouldn't be so big a deal. I mean it would deal with our excess numbers in a more natural way than flushing the excess on the fish store market.

There always seem to be lots of Mollies, but it would be a shame to loose otoes. People would always take them off your hands.....

Well I want to keep the otos, so I'd actually not get the shrimps if there was the slightest risk to my otos (or mollies, for that matter). Shrimp are bottom of the food chain here, LOL.

Our shrimp eats everything - they are not to be trusted. For some reason, the puff won't bother him either. He sits right on top of the statue in the middle of tank and the puff just sort of rolls his buggy little eyes. I can't believe they haven't come to blows when the shrimp goes after the brine shrimps, but there you are.

Yeah, it's odd, isn't it? I assumed our shrimps wouldn't really last in the puffer tank, but they're ALWAYS out and about, and no problem at all. If anything, the kuhlI loaches have a problem, against the ... otos for some reason. Go figure.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Addictedtobettas
  • Question
Replies
Views
Kevinthebreeder
Replies
Views
PlantedCommunityTank132
Replies