Question What Shrimp are Best?

Miluiel_Erynion

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi there! I've got an established tank that currently has some Neon Tetras, Elephant Ear Guppies, and Peppered Cory cats, but I was looking to get some algae eaters to add. My main questions are -
1. What kind of shrimp are fairly easy?
2. Can I even have shrimp with the current species I have?
3. How many should I get? Max amount?

I'm not overly worried about the current guys I have eating the shrimp -- if they want to I won't be upset. But I also have legit no experience with shrimp and don't want to go off and get some without actually knowing how to care for them.

Aquashrimp42

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Amano shrimp are bigger and are great algae eaters. Your fish shouldn’t bug them as much as some others though they will not breed is your aquarium. Ghost shrimp will breed under the right conditions and are also algae eaters. They do have a larger size like the Amman shrimp. Then there are neocaridina shrimp like the red cherry shrimp that are smaller but can be quite colorful. These do eat algae and breed readily given enough plant cover. Caridina shrimp are the hardest to keep and breed but they have very unique color patterns. I would suggest ghost shrimp or neocaridina shrimp to a new shrimp keeper. Aquabid is a good source to get an idea of neocaridina and caridina shrimp variety and prices. I hope you enjoy shrimpkeeping!

Shrimp have a very low bioload and you can have quite a few in any tank. I would suggest getting as many of the neocaridina shrimp as you can to start with if you go that route. You will be happier with the faster kickoff of the colony. The smaller ones might get picked on but with enough cover they will survive and multiply.

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Amanos would be 1-2 inches and pretty difficult to eat! Also the best algae eaters, but will need feeding if there's no algae. Neocaridina of any color are also a good choice :)

OP
Miluiel_Erynion

Miluiel_Erynion

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Great! Do they dig through substrate? I saw a few varieties of snails that do this, but I'm worried since I have smooth gravel and not sand in the tank.

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Miluiel_Erynion said:
Great! Do they dig through substrate? I saw a few varieties of snails that do this, but I'm worried since I have smooth gravel and not sand in the tank.
Not really! They graze on the surface and might move a little bit of the substrate around, but gravel would be much too heavy.

louiebetta

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My favourites are either red cherries or Amano shrimp. Both are quite easy to look after. The amanos are quite a bit bigger than the cherries and tend to be more expensive. Both I think are great choices for your setup! (Amanos tend to be better algae eaters though)

As for the amount, is it a 10 gallon tank that you have? You could honestly have about 50 cherries in there or about 30 amanos, shrimp have such a small bioload that you can have loads without issues! Highly recommend them, they’re one of my favourite species to watch!

OP
Miluiel_Erynion

Miluiel_Erynion

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It is a 10 gallon tank! And yeah, I was looking at shrimp types because of the low bioload, the cleaning is the bonus!

OP
Miluiel_Erynion

Miluiel_Erynion

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay, next question -- How to I acclimate them to the tank? I've seen varying things, and a lot of people saying its a PITA....any advice?

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
People may cringe but I plopped and dropped my Amanos. All 5 survived. I got some cherries and acclimated them. I put them in a bucket with all of their store water and took a air line tube and tied a knot in it. Started siphon from the tank they were going into and tightened the knot until it was barely letting water out. Put the end in the bucket and let it go for 2 hrs. Do it as long as you can. Then put them in the tank.

New Threads