What Should My Tanks Reading Be For My Bettas

1. fishgame6

fishgame6 Valued Member Member

im using the freshwater master kit my readings where

7.6 ph
    .5ppm ammonia
    0ppm nitrate 2
    0ppm nitrate 3

i just set this tank up yesterday and used the old filter cartridge from my old tank which i dident think was fully cycled this is also right after feeding

its a 5.5 gallon tank split in half with a divider with 2 bettas in it theres some green cabomba heater filter etc i used half the water from my old tank to so its about half older water half new water

2. Meowmy

Meowmy New Member Member

By "nitrate 2" do you mean nitrIte? (And is "nitrate 3" nitrAte?) It's way too easy to mix nitrites and nitrates up haha...

Assuming you haven't done any water changes since yesterday, you should have some nitrAtes present if the tank is fully cycled (unless the cabomba ate it all up already somehow)

If the tank only has AOB (bacteria that converts ammonia to nitrIte), only nitrites would be present.

If your tank has both AOB and NOB (bacteria that converts nitrIte to nitrAte), the cycle would be complete and you would be seeing nitrates.

Hopefully this helps you out!

3. OP
    OP
    fishgame6

nitrite is the 2 nitrate is the 3 my bad so im sitting at
    7.6 ph
    .5ppm ammonia
    0ppm nitrite
    0ppm nitrate

so im guessing the tank is not cycled what should i do from here?

and i did add some nutrafin plant gro for the plants

4. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, it is not cycled; I recommend getting some Seachem Prime and doing a fish-in cycle. (Sorry for the incoming questions)
    -Have you ever checked the parameters before you got the new tank?
    -Did you only have one Betta in that tank?
    - did you wash the filter cartridge with non-dechlorinated water?
    Also, a 5.5 gallon divides for two Bettas isn't a lot of space; you'll have trouble with a lot of fluctuation, which may be contributing to the problem right now.

To my knowledge, this shouldn't be adding to the ammonia in the tank; it's a plant fertilizer and shouldn't be designed to do that (if so, you'd have to check the bottle for us, please tell us!)

5. Meowmy

Meowmy New Member Member

You'll just have to go through the whole process, which may take a few weeks...

Check your water everyday and watch your bettas carefully - as the amazing @KinsKicks suggested, Seachem Prime will help your fishies get through the process.

(P.S. If you can, you could ask a friend/local fish store for some sort of media from a cycled, healthy tank (stuff like gravel, ornaments or used filter media). This will introduce the good bacteria and greatly speed up the process!)

6. OP
    OP
    fishgame6

i have prime! and no the plant fertilizer doesn't add ammonia . theres 2 bettas all ready in there so ill just look up how to cycle and then i will go from there thank you everyone

no i havent checked the water before i got this new tank and the filter cartridge is from my old tank i thought it would help a bit

7. KinsKicks

It should help; but I'm thinking something must have happened to the bacteria during the transfer OR it was never cycled in the first place.

What kind is your filter?

8. OP
    OP
    fishgame6

9. KinsKicks

Ah ok; tbh, I think you probably weren't cycled completely yet, like you stated earlier. As long as you keep up the needs for a fish-less cycle and use Prime; your fish should be ok.

And (sorry for sounding like a broken record) you didn't let the old cartridge dry or rinse it with tap water, right?

Also, how long was your old tank set up before you got the new one?

10. OP
    OP
    fishgame6

a month and no theres no way it could have and the old filter was a internal filter when i changed them i put it in tank water for 20min while i was switching everything over

11. KinsKicks

A month isn't long enough to cycle a tank for sure unless you were checking the parameters; but even then; unless you used a heavily seeded filter, your cycle never completed , so that's what I'm guessing what happened (I think it means mystery solved :))

12. OP
    OP
    fishgame6

yep thank you guess the new cycle is started