What Should My Next Steps Be (cycling New Tank)?

bo1333

HI everyone! I've made a post about my tank before but it's been a while and it kept going off topic because I kept having other problems so I wanted to make a new post just to ask a few questions about cycling (I hope that's okay).

I have a 10 gallon planted tank that's been running without fish for maybe 5 or 6 weeks. I was away from home a lot so I didn't get the chance to really start the cycle and then I found a few bladder snails and bought an assassin snail to help (forgetting he would be sensitive to the cycle). Initially, I was trying to cycle with fish food, stopped when I got a few snails, and started again once my assassin ate them all (mostly just to feed him). I didn't want to dump a bunch of pure ammonia in with him and I'm not positive that my ammonia is the right kind, so yesterday I bought a bottle of TSS+ and dumped it in.

Yesterday morning, before the TSS+, I had ammonia around 0-0.25 (I can never tell if it's zero), nitrites and nitrates at 0 and pH around 7.2 or a bit under. I added the bacteria probably around 24 hours ago and tested today just to see. I had 0 ammonia (pretty sure it's actually zero), 0 nitrites, 5-10 nitrates, and pH was about the same. So, I'm just wondering what my next step should be. I know TSS+ comes with nitrogen to feed the bacteria initially so I guess that's why I got nitrate readings, but should I add more ammonia now to see what happens? I'm hoping that if I don't dose too high initially, then the bacteria from the TSS should be able to convert it to nitrate before it bothers the snail too much? Not sure if that reasoning makes sense though.

Thanks!

AquaticJ

Is this your only tank?

bo1333

Top Bottom