What should I use! Help 

Cooksmorrell

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I ordered some seachem
IMG_1810.JPG
clarity but then realized I need a mechanical filter in order for it to be useful. I currently have a sponge filter and my water is cloudy due to being next to a window. Is there anything else that I can use that would fight against cloudy water?

opalEssence

Reaction score
Experience
2 years

JettsPapa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Cooksmorrell said:
I ordered some seachem clarity but then realized I need a mechanical filter in order for it to be useful. I currently have a sponge filter and my water is cloudy due to being next to a window. Is there anything else that I can use that would fight against cloudy water?
I'd just put a back on the aquarium. The water should clear up with the sponge filter running.

Cooksmorrell

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
opalEssence said:
Isn't a sponge filter... a mechanical filter?
Is it? I thought a mechanical filter was like a hang on the back filter?

JettsPapa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Cooksmorrell said:
Is it? I thought a mechanical filter was like a hang on the back filter?
A sponge filter also does mechanical filtration. As the air flows up the tube it draws water through the sponge and up through the tube. This creates flow in the aquarium, and debris is caught in the sponge. It's a more gentle flow than a hang-on-the-back, so consequently not as effective at mechanical filtration, but it's still basically doing the same thing.

Cooksmorrell

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
JettsPapa said:
A sponge filter also does mechanical filtration. As the air flows up the tube it draws water through the sponge and up through the tube. This creates flow in the aquarium, and debris is caught in the sponge. It's a more gentle flow than a hang-on-the-back, so consequently not as effective at mechanical filtration, but it's still basically doing the same thing.
Thanks!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom