What Should I Stock This With?

FearlessDreamer

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
EBA81E37-44A0-47B7-A3D2-AA77C997E105.jpg

So I have a 40 gallon long fish tank that is currently stocked with juvenile comets, but they’re at the point now that they’re bigger to head out to the pond. Which leaves me with an empty tank. This tank has two filters, one up to 40 gallon and one up to 70 gallon, so I’d say it’s pretty well filtered. I do 50% water changes once a week, occasionally twice. Im wondering what I’m looking out for stock options after the comets are removed, in regards to type, and how many.
Ps I’m aware that my filter’s not supposed to be fully emerged it fell and I moved it after this picture.

FearlessDreamer

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I love schools of fish personally, but that’s all I’ve ever done too so I guess I’m biased.

FearlessDreamer

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I love schools of fish personally, but that’s all I’ve ever done too so I guess I’m biased.

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
FearlessDreamer said:
My 40 breeder has different types of cory on the bottom plus a pair of dojo loaches. The mid and top has tetras. So, I get you. I meant to branch into cichlids when my goldies left my 65, but I ended up with firebelly toads instead.

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Cheesearmada said:
Here's what I would do
1 Dwarf Gourami
6 Corydoras Catfish (of your choice)
6 Zebra Danios (They are very active and super fun to watch)
Tetras of some sort, depending on what your LFS carries
If the OP wants cories, they would need to switch to a safer substrate like sand.

FearlessDreamer

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I wouldn’t mind switching to sand, not at all, or planting the tank, planning to remodel anyway once the Goldies are gone. I’m just interested in what fish I should add, I wouldn’t even mind buying fish offline if I need too. I plan on probably doing a Betta as a center piece fish or maybe a male and female dwarf gourami.

Lynn78too

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I was going to say do a betta sorority.

If you get a betta as a centerpiece, be sure it's the last fish you add. Also be prepared to have a different spot for him in case he's aggressive or make sure you can return him to the store.

FearlessDreamer

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have three Betta tanks right now, I wouldn’t mind one more or splitting down one of the tens if something doesn’t work out . I just love bettas a lot.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom