What Should I Put In My Tank?

AshenAngel

Reaction score
Ello there people, I was wondering what you’d recommend putting in my 20gal tank?

Currently I have:
(a minor invasion of pond snails)
3 panda cories named Larry, Moe, and Curley.
2 bluefinned killifish named Jo and Jojo.
2 tiger nerite snails named Bob and Rob.
1 betta male of the short finned variety named Steve.

The tank has been cycled, sits at a constant 72° F. Filtered. Mixture of sand and gravel, heavily planted. There are also two coconut hut caves that the betta can’t get into. The tank is covered since the killifish believe they can fly once it’s food time and the nerite snails think they’re both Spider-Man. The betta is a lazy old guy who lounges on top of the heater until feeding time and then spends the rest of his day keeping the cory kids off his marimo log. I’ve had him for 3+ years now and he’s a very docile guy, only time I’ve caught him flaring his gills was when he was yawning. The cories often just pile up near the huts and occasionally bounce off Steve when they get hyper. The killifish will follow them around in a very confused school. I guess they like stripes? I dunno.

What fish do you think would work well with my guys? The nerite snails are good at keeping the glass clean, but they don’t go near my anubias plants, and they get some algae buildup on them. I’ve seen my killifish occasionally peck at the pond snails and their eggs, but they aren’t that efficient. Any suggestions for a leaf algae eater and a small snail muncher?

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn't put anyone else in there as one never knows with Bettas. They can live peacefully with tankmates for months and then suddenly go postal one day... I would put him in his own tank next door where he can watch the others for entertainment. Then I'd add 3 more small cories to round out their shoal and 10 male Endlers to the tank and watch them spazz out

AshenAngel

Reaction score
I wouldn't put anyone else in there as one never knows with Bettas. They can live peacefully with tankmates for months and then suddenly go postal one day... I would put him in his own tank next door where he can watch the others for entertainment. Then I'd add 3 more small cories to round out their shoal and 10 male Endlers to the tank and watch them spazz out
I’m a bit hesitant to put the betta in his own tank. I had him on his own during the first year and he’d sit down at the bottom of the tank and pretty much mope all day until I came over and started playing chase the string with him. When I added the cories he got a bit more active at least, started swimming around a bit more, found other spots to sit and relax on. It looked like his quality of life improved with the addition of the cories.

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’m a bit hesitant to put the betta in his own tank. I had him on his own during the first year and he’d sit down at the bottom of the tank and pretty much mope all day until I came over and started playing chase the string with him. When I added the cories he got a bit more active at least, started swimming around a bit more, found other spots to sit and relax on. It looked like his quality of life improved with the addition of the cories.
Did he have another tank to observe while he was alone?

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Most bettas do fine with tank mates...

I would reccomend against the yoyos and consider upping the panda cory school to around 6.

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Most bettas do fine with tank mates...

I would reccomend against the yoyos and consider upping the panda cory school to around 6.
I wouldn't say "most" because I'm only going on anecdotal information. I suppose we'd have to an extensive survey to say otherwise. I know a breeder who had too many fish kill each other, including a sorority tank that had been born and raised together. They had a bloodbath one day.

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn't say "most" because I'm only going on anecdotal information. I suppose we'd have to an extensive survey to say otherwise. I know a breeder who had too many fish kill each other, including a sorority tank that had been born and raised together. They had a bloodbath one day.
I would. Of all the males I've had, and the males that multiple online friends have had, I've only came across 1 instance of a male not doing well in a community tank. 1 in over 100's....

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom