What Should I Put In My Tank?

403Error

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It’s 2.5g and it barely has anything in it. I want to put plants but I have no idea what to put or what kind of ornaments. So far she only has one hiding space.
I literally just bought this new tank cause it’s the only thing that’ll fit in my place.
She’s also constantly swimming up against the glass?? Dunno what’s that about.

Iverg1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
decorations are all about your preference you could anything you want (provided it fits in the tank) I would choose a little cave or hidey hole for her but if that’s not your thing then choose something else maybe go to your lfs and see what you like

Also welcome to fish lore.hope you like it here!

Last edited by a moderator:

DaleM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It’s 2.5g and it barely has anything in it. I want to put plants but I have no idea what to put or what kind of ornaments. So far she only has one hiding space.
I literally just bought this new tank cause it’s the only thing that’ll fit in my place.
What fish do you have? A female Betta?

Edit, just saw this was posted in the Betta forum.

She needs more hiding places, maybe a floating plant and another cave to make her feel more comfortable. She can probably see her reflection in the glass thinking it's another Betta, hence the swimming close to the glass.

Rylan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi! If you just got her that’s totally normal. She’ll relax in a few days with more hiding
places.

If you think there’s enough room, there’s a nifty 2-3 inch floating Betta log you can get. Mine sleeps in his every night.

Maybe you could get an Anubias plant. They grow slow but steady and are great for small tanks. They don’t need any special care. You just have to take care not to bury the rhizome.

I tied mine onto decorations. My Betta likes swimming and hiding in the roots of the one tied down to the bridge in particular.

(Excuse the diatoms on the first one. I need to rub them off, that’s the most I do to those things)

B90C57C4-E13D-4F9E-89C6-C161D0A3659F.jpeg
20AD040A-6420-4809-938A-5B8B356F3070.jpeg

Last edited:

403Error

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi! If you just got her that’s totally normal. She’ll relax in a few days with more hiding
places.

If you think there’s enough room, there’s a nifty 2-3 inch floating Betta log you can get. Mine sleeps in his every night.

Maybe you could get an Anubias plant. They grow slow but steady and are great for small tanks. They don’t need any special care. You just have to take care not to bury the rhizome.

I tied mine onto decorations. My Betta likes swimming and hiding in the roots of the one tied down to the bridge in particular.

(Excuse the diatoms on the first one. I need to rub them off, that’s the most I do to those things)

View attachment 432455 View attachment 432456
Oh that’s how you keep them!!
I was thinking of getting one but it looks so tiny and I have no idea what to do with it so I didn’t get it. It looks really cool all grown up.
I will go back and get one :O seems like a very neat plant to hide around

Rylan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Oh that’s how you keep them!!
I was thinking of getting one but it looks so tiny and I have no idea what to do with it so I didn’t get it. It looks really cool all grown up.
I will go back and get one :O seems like a very neat plant to hide around
Yeah! There’s different kinds you can get. I forget what mine are called exactly but they’re not the super teeny ones they sell in the cups at petco. I kind of pick them out purely based on the leaf shape I like. The ones in the photos were just the tube plants from petco. but all of them you can plant that way. You could also use super glue to secure them if you don’t want to use thread.

Last edited:

403Error

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What fish do you have? A female Betta?

Edit, just saw this was posted in the Betta forum.

She needs more hiding places, maybe a floating plant and another cave to make her feel more comfortable. She can probably see her reflection in the glass thinking it's another Betta, hence the swimming close to the glass.
If she is seeing her reflection, is there any way I can help mediate that? Hope it’s not that big of a problem. I would get a log but there’s a current that slowly moves around the tank and get faster the closer to the top.

Iverg1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Seeing her reflection is normal and ven healthy as it promotes flaring (which is also healthy) but if she’s doing it every second then you could place a background

Rylan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You could also check to see if the lighting in or around the tank might be causing too much of a reflection. But if she’s new to the tank it’s completely normal for them to do that for the first week or two. Getting a taller plant or another cave will probably help.

I used a couple Betta hammocks to keep my Betta log from flying all over the tank. At the moment I have it strung through the only fake plant in the aquarium and that keeps it from drifting as well. They also seem to like having a place at the surface that’s shielded from current. Just a suggestion! There’s many things you could do

I’ve had Bettas with differing reactions to tank backgrounds. Most of them really don’t mind at all.

The fish I have at the moment is weird. He hated every tank background I tried including plain blue or black which is why he has white paper instead. I was bummed. I was hoping he’d at least like the plain black but he flared too much at all of them and blew out his tail, even when all the lights were off. He’s my little psycho fish lol he’s extremely aggressive. Just a side note if anyone else’s fish is hyper like mine. Most do fine with backgrounds though.

403Error

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Update: I couldn’t find any of those floating Logs in any of the pet stores within 10 miles of me.
but I did find a better hiding place and silk plants. I decided against real plants cause I already got 6 moss balls roaming around lol.
She does like her new little ball cave and is going in and out of it. I think I’m just going to print a background on a plain piece of paper.
The hammock is placed NEXT to the heater where the current is not as apparent.
Thanks for ya’ll suggestions!
She enjoys the fake plants too Very Hidy and perfect for peekaboo she thinks lol.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom