• IMG_20180225_200219.jpg
    IMG_20180225_200219.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 72
david1978
I would start with a filter.

MyLIttleFish
I have a good sponge filter is that ok?

Wobbegong
Sorry, I don't see the tank in the photo.

MyLIttleFish
I round globe is the tank

Wobbegong
oh, sorry I didn't realize that was a tank, how many gallons is it?

MyLIttleFish
here is a better one

it is a two gallon

and I have six baby guppies

Attachments

• IMG_20180225_201216.jpg
    IMG_20180225_201216.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20180225_154740.jpg
    IMG_20180225_154740.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 70
KimberlyG
You are going to have all kinds of comments coming at you because you don't have a heated and filtered tank that is at least 5 gallons. The sponge filter is good. Add a plant. I don't think they see decorations as we do. You are going to be doing a lot of water changes in a container that has that little water volume.

Wobbegong
I would not put any fish in a tank that small, 2.5 gallons is the smallest tank I would put any fish in. a 10 gallon with a sponge filter would be a much better option.

MyLIttleFish
I know this is my original tank I also have a five gallon but the parents are in it

I don't have anything else and the one I have them in is a travel tank which is super small.

Lunnietic
How many guppies do you have in your 5 gallon?

I would really recommend upgrading the parents to at least a 10, then you can put their fry in the 5.

MyLIttleFish
I have no idea if it is safe or not

here are the shells

Attachments

• IMG_20180225_203522.jpg
    IMG_20180225_203522.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 68
david1978
Yes and no. They dissolve over time. 1 or 2 at a time in such a small amount of water shouldn't effect water chemistry much but much more than that will.

KimberlyG
I have shell dwellers so of course they have to have shells. I clean them and then boil them for about 2 hours. The 20 shells of about 3" that I have in a 20L raised the pH from 8.0 to 8.2

david1978
And that's 1 per gallon. Op has a 2 gallon bowl.

aneesomar
I think thinks its okay just boil them to kill off all bacteria and harmful organisms and it should be okay

aneesomar
But I d
I think thinks its okay just boil them to kill off all bacteria and harmful organisms and it should be okay
I prefer natural rocks for a more realistic environment with plants but that is just my opinion

Ulu
If you want to put seashells in a tank and you don't want them to dissolve away, then paint them well first, with clear acrylic enamel, and let them cure for a week.

Otherwise they will just vanish.

aneesomar
Is not a ideal size for your fish but a small plant such as a piece of hornwort or java moss or a moss ball which is a easy plant and a nice little rock

Kysarkel000
First, I want to say welcome to fishlore! I'm glad you're interested in learning about proper fish care! It can seem overwhelming at first, but it's pretty easy.

The first thing you need to know about is the nitrogen cycle and what role a filter really plays in a tank. You can search about it on fishlore. It's an essential part to a stable tank eco-system and helps you to understand why and how much you need to change your water.

The next thing to know is that usually the people working at pet stores don't really know what they're talking about and really just want you to buy their stuff. So it's really important to do your research before you do anything.

When dealing with fish, you have to take into account all of their needs. Each fish is different. You will always need a filter and a tank that is the right size to support your fish (how big it grows, how much bio-load it has, and how much swimming space it needs). Some fish need to be in groups, or schools and you'll need a tank that can support 6 fish rather than just the one.

Tank size also matters because the bigger the tank, the more water there is, allowing more lee-way in any mistakes you make (adding too much food, forgetting to do a water change). It also keeps the tank temperature and water perameters more stable.

Moving on to temperature, most fish need a heater in the tank. A pre-set heater is cheaper, but the adjuable ones are better in the long run. Again, make sure to do your research and get a heater with good reviews or a well known brand because poorly-made heaters can malfunction and kill your fish. Also, when doing water changes, either unplug your heater, or keep it completely covered by water. I've heard a few horror stories where they've exploded. They're no joke.

Speaking of dangers, fish get scared easily. They really appreciate a good hiding spot. Make sure to keep plenty of hides in your tank by adding plants (silk or living aquatic plants are best), rocks, driftwood, and decorations. A good, inexpensive hide-away is a terracotta pot or Mason jar. Make sure to rinse all the soap and dirt off with lots of hot water. It's unadvisable to actually wash fish tank decor with soap. A good rinse is all it takes and in some conditions, a bleach dip. In this case, just a rinse you can rearrange the tank every so often to keep your fish interested. You'll find that they love to explore new landscapes (aquascapes) you biuld them.

Some fish are more resilient than others, but you'll find that following these guidelines will substantially improve your fish's life. If your tank becomes out of balance, it will stress your fish out, making it easier for your fish to get sick and possibly pass away sooner than what should be. It also makes your fish "depressed" and just sit there. An active tank is a healthy tank!

I hoped this helped you out, and if you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask!! And good luck with your baby fish!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SparkyJones
Replies
Views
Siphon
Top Bottom