What Should I Put In My 60g? 60 Gallon Tank

1. Lizardwings Initiate Member

I've always done peaceful community fish like live bearers and tetras, and now I wanna do something more... exciting.

I'm thinking maybe South or Central American Cichlids. I know 60's not big enough to give me a ton of options, but I just love how much personality they have. I'm strongly leaning towards one oscar - it's just that the tank will be so empty while he's growing into it. I'm wondering if while he's a baby he could cohab with one of my gouramis and some of my bigger tetras?

What do y'all think?

2. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

That could work but long term that's not big enough for an oscar

3. Pastel.Fish. Member Member

If you wanted you could get some large fancy goldfish like some telescope butterfly goldfish or some ornandas? Just some suggestions! :)

4. Lizardwings Initiate Member

Yaknow I didn't even consider goldfish... they're a contender for sure. Less exotic than I had in mind, but they are plenty impressive when full grown

5. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

Angelfish. Definitely. I would suggest one or two for a 60 gallon. Depending on your current stock, though. Angelfish work with a lot of fish, but not everything.

6. vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

If you go the cichlid route, electric blue acaras have tons of personality and will fit in your tank just fine :) You can definitely build a community around them so long as their tankmates are big enough.

Other options: rainbow cichlids, laetacara, a blood parrot; or a shoal of rams, keyholes or guianacara...

7. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

I second @vikingkirken's suggestion of guianacara- that would make a great tank !

8. vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

I do adore my guianacara :D They are so beautiful and interesting to watch!

9. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Nannacara sp. would also be an option.

10. Lizardwings Initiate Member

What do y'all think of a shoal of rams and a pair each of angels, acara and parrots?

11. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I think that would be a bit much for a 60g.