what should i put in it...hmmm 30 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Red_Pharaoh, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Red_Pharaoh

Red_PharaohNew MemberMember

okay so i have a 30g tank and once i move my baby oscar out of it (just wateing for his tank to finish) im not sure what i want or would be a good idea..i want a angle fish but idk how many could safly fit but i dont want no boreing guppies or tetras or anything boreing hahaha so any ideas?

2. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

You could put two angels in a 30g tank then maybe a school of corys for the bottom.
    Carol

3. OP
    OP
    Red_Pharaoh

how mant is a school? lol

4. Butterfly

Sorry :) Corys should be kept in groups of three or more if possible.
    Carol

5. midthought

midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

I've seen as low as 3 and 4 as the minimum for corys, but they're probably much happier at 6 or more. (And the way I see it, if you're going to get corys for their awesome personalities, get them in a proper number so that they can actually *be* playful...a shy cory is a sad sight.) For schools of other fish (tetras), I usually see higher minimums, like 5.

My new favorites are German Blue Rams (GBRs) because of their adorable little "mohawks" and stop-and-start swim action. They can be territorial when breeding though, so beware of that if you get a male+female and they start to mate.

Edit: I have read of people keeping GBRs and angelfish in the same tank, but since they both get territorial and like to breed in similar areas (flat rocks), you'd have to do your research and planning ahead of time. Like not get a breeding pair, maybe only 1 GBR, etc.

There's also blood parrots cichlids which are growing on me lately. They're just so goofy looking. Plus they're docile and make good community fish. They're hybrid fish and won't successfully reproduce with other blood parrots though (though they may try).

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  6. Butterfly

More the merrier :) And they are better in larger groups, but I feel they must be kept in groups no smaller than three.
    GBR's are really neat also but when in spawning mode will chase anything in their territory including Corys. My GBR's terrorize the 55g their in :)

Blood parrots are really cool but a 30g tank isn't big enough for them.
    Carol

7. midthought

Oh darn, I hadn't actually gotten around to looking at that actually. Lo and behold, I go to check what their adult size is and it's 10 whopping inches. I've never seen one in an LFS half so big, so I guess I always assumed they were a dwarf species...my bad.

Minimum 42 gallons for a blood parrot then I guess. :( Guess one's not in my future anytime soon either...

8. Butterfly

9. midthought

Wow, they're like aquatic baby elephants. I can see how they get huge!

10. Algae Eater

Algae EaterWell Known MemberMember

I've got GBRs and Angels in the same 55 gallon tank, and the GBRs do chase off the angels but no harm is done. I thought Angels bred up higher, on vertical pieces of decor. Well, mine haven't bred so they aren't an issue anyway. I don't think I would put them together in a 30 gallon tank, though.

I've actually got an empty 30 gallon and I was going to put 10 neons and 10 Gold tetras because they are both around the same size and really shiny in their respective colors. I think it will create a neat effect. Just an idea.

11. OP
    OP
    Red_Pharaoh

Thank you all for your suggestions lol

12. rae64

rae64Well Known MemberMember

What are the tank dimensions? A lot of the 30 gallon tanks I have seen are breeders (unless it is 29 gallons) and I feel they are not tall enough for angels (maybe they are, but that is just my personal opinion) They are only about 13 inches tall. I have also read that a pair of angels, unless a breeding pair, is not a good idea, because the weaker fish will be terrorized. But also, that is just something I have read.

GBR sound like a good idea to me though. Maybe have 4 of them as the centerpiece fish ( I think they will be fine in groups, correct me if I am wrong) and then some cory cats and a school of neon or cardinal tetras (they will look fabulous with the ram coloration, shiny blues and reds)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  13. midthought

I think that 4 female GBRs would be okay, but mixing male and female will create havoc when they try to breed. The couple (or couples) gets territorial and even the unattached females individually will get territorial as well. The problem with that, I think, is that sexing them when they're very young isn't super easy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice