What should I know/ask about getting a 130 gallon tank?

gray_matter16

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am considering getting a 130 gallon aquarium from craigslist right now. Obviously I want to vet it as much and as well as I can. Besides the obvious (no leaks, scratches, etc.), what sorts of things should I ask about? And also, assuming I do get it, what sorts of things should I prepare for with this size (6ft W, 2ft H, 1.5ft D) of tank. I currently have a 75 gallon, what are some differences that anybody can speak to?

I'll need a new stand. So any advice, or links to good threads, on that would be helpful too. Thanks!

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Plenty of diy stands on utube. Not to hard to build. If moving 75 to 130 you will be able to start it right away.
As to buying used it’s tough. Find out how old it is. Does it come with a stand and any equipment. Price should be less than half what it would cost new. It should be full of water when you see it. This way you can look around it for leaks.

OP
gray_matter16

gray_matter16

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
86 ssinit said:
Plenty of diy stands on utube. Not to hard to build. If moving 75 to 130 you will be able to start it right away.
As to buying used it’s tough. Find out how old it is. Does it come with a stand and any equipment. Price should be less than half what it would cost new. It should be full of water when you see it. This way you can look around it for leaks.
It looks quite new, no scratches, clear glass. With the black rI'm it looks like a generic marineland or topfin aquarium style. I haven't seen it in person yet, but will confirm that when I do. And YES, I will definitely have it filled with water when I see it- I have unfortunately learned the hard way on that. Nothing catastrophic, just wasted money to find out the tank leaks when you get it home.

They are selling the 130 gallon for $150 and selling the stand they used for it for another $20. It's an incredible deal so I'm very wary of this being too good to be true.

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Agree.

Petco is having there dollar per gallon sale now. The bigger tanks are 50% off. If your just getting the tank I would buy new. There really not that expensive. My 125 was on sale at petsmart a couple of years ago for 200 bucks. That was with a stand.
tapatalk_1487514085916.jpeg

Here's a stand I built for my old 75 YOU would just have to adjust the numbers for the 130 gallon

OP
gray_matter16

gray_matter16

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Dave125g said:
Agree.

Petco is having there dollar per gallon sale now. The bigger tanks are 50% off. If your just getting the tank I would buy new. There really not that expensive. My 125 was on sale at petsmart a couple of years ago for 200 bucks. That was with a stand. Here's a stand I built for my old 75 YOU would just have to adjust the numbers for the 130 gallon
Good to know, and would definitely buy new if possible. Just a quick search, but I could only find up to 75 gallon that applied to the $1 per gallon on the petco website.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I guess all Petco are different. Mine only sells to 75 too. Petsmart sells a 125 and it comes with a stand. When on sale it around $200.
But if it hold water and the stand looks good I’d tell him you can get new for $30 more and offer 100 for all. Thing is used tank don’t sell. Not many people looking for a used tank. You may be the first to look at it. Good luck. With tank on stand make sure there is no movement no wobble.

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
170 is a bit much for a used tank and most likely a partical board stand.

OP
gray_matter16

gray_matter16

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Dave125g said:
170 is a bit much for a used tank.
Really? I have been passively looking for 6 months or so and haven't found anything close to this. The lowest I ever see for a 130g (tank only) is usually around 3 or 400 used. In fact, so much so that I told myself if I ever found a tank > 100 gallon for $1.5 per gallon or less I'd scoop it up immediately lol

OP
gray_matter16

gray_matter16

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
H Farnsworth said:
Go new you won’t regret it
Every tank I've ever bought has been used. I've not had a problem yet. Statistically, maybe that means I'm due for a problem tank lol!

Seasoldier

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, a practical matter to consider would be where is it going to be sited? A 130 gallon tank will weigh a lot so will the floor it's to stand on take the weight? Is it level? Ground floor or upstairs?

OP
gray_matter16

gray_matter16

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Seasoldier said:
Hi, a practical matter to consider would be where is it going to be sited? A 130 gallon tank will weigh a lot so will the floor it's to stand on take the weight? Is it level? Ground floor or upstairs?
Yeah that's a good point that I should check up on. I live in an apt on the ground floor. So I'm probably OK, but I don't know exactly what's under me. I'll call the staff and see if they know who to talk to about that.

OP
gray_matter16

gray_matter16

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
86 ssinit said:
Are they concrete floors?
Yeah. Carpet, padding, concrete, dirt, is what they told me. That was just management though. I asked them to ask the manager or maintenance to be sure though.

OP
gray_matter16

gray_matter16

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sub-question about the 130g. I currently have two cannister filters that are both rated at 265gph. From what I've learned on this site, to determine how much actual flow you'll get, we cut in half the box rating. So between both canister filters there's a total of 265gph. For my current 75 gallon setup, that's a tank cycled about 3.5 times an hour. With it being heavily planted, I feel that's enough, and my ammonia levels confirm that.

With the 130g, 265gph would cycle the tank about twice an hour. It'll still end up being heavily planted. Wondering should I get another filter or maybe a sump or some additional filtration?

Danny002

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I can't really speak much to your filter question, but I will say that if the stand is anything other than metal or solid wood, don't use it. Particle board is pretty weak and will expand if you get water on it, I just really don't trust it. You can go down to Lowes, grab some 2x4s or 4x8s (whatever you're more comfortable with), screws and some L brackets, have them cut the wood to size for you, and all you need from there is a drill to put it all together. If you don't have a drill you could just borrow or rent one.

This is a link to a diy stand for a 55 gallon, but you can just adjust the size accordingly and substitute the 2x4s for 4x8s if you want, and probably go for some bigger screws and maybe add some extra supports:

New Threads