What should I get for my 50g?

1. Fishnugget43 Member Member

Hi, Im so excited about my 50g tank. I havnt gotten it set up and cycled yet but I was trying to think of what I want to put in it. Any Ideas? I think I want to go with a Tropical community tank. I prefer smaller fish and want an algea eater. What do you suggest? Thanks for any ideas!!

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Cories, otos, or BN pleco for the bottom. I have a personal preference for cories. You could get 8-10.

WWhat do you like? Schools? Angels?

3. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Hmm...congo tetras, rainbowfish, angelfish would LOVE a tank that size.

Hope this helps you a bit.

4. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

SAE, Otos, Corys for the clean up crew.
    Rummynose Tetra, Harlequin Rasbora, Celestial Pearl Danio, Lemon Tetra, Cardinal Tetra, Serpae Tetra, Cherry Barbs Marbled Hatchetfish, Celebes Rainbow, Red Phantom Tetra, Black Widow Tetra, Silver Tip Tetra, Pepper/White Star Tetra,Forktailed Rainbow or maybe a tank full of Killifish. Feature fish could be Flag Cichlid, Golden Dwarf Acara or perhaps a Dwarf or Banded Gourami.

Not all of those of course, just some.

5. duckyluv Member Member

A pair of goldfish to eat you out of house and home and drive u nuts!! lol....j/k

6. JSK Member Member

I just put 9 Rosy Tetras as the first fish into a newly cycled 55 gallon. They are great, the red color on their fins is popping out after just two days in our tank. They are very active, exploring the whole tank, swimming through the live plants, etc. I recommend.

I love Kuhli loaches...If you have never seen any live, try to find some in a LFS and check them out. I am going to add some once the tank is more mature. Also, a few cory cats are fun, and good housecleaners to patrol the bottom. A small pleco can be a great algea eater - some get really big but some stay around 4 inches.

Congo tetras are beautiful but get a little bigger - 3 inches I am told.

I have never seen any in a LFH here, but I have heard the Celestial pearl danios are great - small and colorful and active. But they may run you more than $5 a fish.

Head out to your LFH and do some "window shopping." I always end up seeing a fish I have never heard of that catches my eye...then I go home a research it...keeps you entertained while you wait for the cycle!