What should I feed my Sucker Fish ?

1. Roger_17 Initiate Member

Hi,

I have a sucker fish along with 2 Black Moore and 1 Gold Fish. The sucker fish doesn't eat the dry worms or other food that i feed my fishes. Initially it used to eat the algae on stones in the tank or from the filter sponge.
    Recently i read somewhere that zucchini, peas, cucumber can be fed to sucker fish, can anyone guide as to how should i feed it; i mean just drop a piece of one or two into the tank or shred it and then put ? also what are other common fish foods that sucker can eat ?
    I don't want to jeopardize my other fishes by starting him to suck on their scales.

Thanks,
    Roger.

2. pitbull_nc Member Member

You can use algae wafers to supplement his diet. However my understanding is they do eat a lot of algae off of the glass but if your tank is not producing enough for him then algae wafers should suffice him.

3. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Roger, if I haven't already welcomed you, welcome to fishlore :;hi2

Your catfish/pleco won't eat/suck on your scaly friends (fish)

Generally speaking, plecos are herbivores, they eat algae, cucumber, zucchini, (not sure about peas, haven't tried them)

As for how to prepare the cucumber, zucchini, I've only tried zucchini (and they love it) - just steam the zucchini as you would for a human to consume.

Then put in the tank, you may need to weigh it down with a pebble (cleaned), or plant anchor.... I use sewing cotton to attach to the anchor, works a charm, goes straight to the bottom and throughout the night they'll nibble. Probably be gone by the morning.

EDIT: I also recommend drift wood. Plecos lloooovvvvvveeeee driftwood - it helps their digestive systems too.

4. iRun Member Member

Hi there!
    +1 on the zucchini. Mine eat zucchini, tat soi, spinach, chard...
    (not a coincidence that those last 3 are in our favorite salad mix from Whole Foods)

I just put them in a coffee cup with enough water to cover them and microwave em for like 40 seconds to a minute.

I also use thread but I just tie up the bundle or chunk of zucchini and drop it in, leaving some hanging out of the tank, so you can retrieve any leftovers after a day.
    Cheers!

5. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Actually, they can and will. If there is a slow moving fish in the tank, it's not uncommon that the pleco will attach itself to the fish.

+1 on previous advice...... driftwood is a necessity, they need it for digestion

I hang raw cucumber slices on the sides of the tank and the plecos consume it within 24 hours

6. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Well there you go, I stand corrected :pokey: Sorry for the misinformation :(

7. gremlin Well Known Member Member

Plecos can and will suck on other fish - if they are hungry enough. They are, after all, scavengers. They prefer vegetation - moss, algae, some plants. But they also will eat insects and snails and worms that are in the moss and algae. They will also feed on dead fish that they come across. If your pleco is well fed, then it will most likely ignore your healthy fish - they are not worth the effort it would take to hunt them down and eat if there is other food more easily available. Algae wafers, shrimp pellets, and the bottom feeder tablets for cories can all be offered to your pleco in addition to the fresh foods mentioned above.

My plecos loved the algae wafers and the bottom feeder tablets. He would get one of the algae wafers in his mouth and turn it so he was chewing on the edge. Then while he was chewing on it, he would swim in circles - doing loop the loops. It was fun watching him.

8. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I've actually read that plecos are omnivores, which would explain them eating dead fish (though at that point, it may be considered a detritivore...?). I've fed mine shrimp pellets and she went nuts.

Some people spear a slice of zucchini or cucumber with a fork and toss it in the tank. Call me paranoid, but I'm a little leery about tossing large chunks of metal into my tank, so I boil mine for a little bit so they sink on their own. I don't do a full slice though; I've heard horror stories about plecos getting caught in the ring of skin that is left. I'm a little skeptical about that though, as mine eats them, skin and all :)

My BN pleco loves zucchini and cucumber, but she won't eat peas or spinach. I've pretty much stopped feeding algae wafers; I was told that they can cause constipation, and there's so much algae in my tank anyway, I'm sure she isn't hungry. I'd rather her eat fresh vegetables than a processed wafer anyway :)

9. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

I serve my fish raw zucchini/ cucumber. I peel it and slice it thin, then I have some flat plastic drink stir sticks that I skewer them onto. The stir sticks have a plastic ball on top for holding onto, I turn them upsidedown and push the ball down in the substrate to hold it in place.

10. Roger_17 Initiate Member

Hey Thnx guys for all your suggests, just to let u know y'day night i tried putting in some cucumber pieces and this morning they were gone. I just immersed them between few stones in the tank, seems my sucker likes them as well.
    will try with zucchini in few days :) :)

Thanks,
    RG

11. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

12. jbdub Member Member

Hmmmm that's a good idea, think I'll try that

13. can haz catfishies? Member Member

Mine go nuts for hikari algae wafers, I also feed them slices of cucumber, they do scavenge and will eat things they find laying on the substrate like bloodworm or even dead fish, and as others have said they do need bogwood as the lignin they extract from it is essential for their diet and it also gives them something to hide under, mine actually dig under the bog wood and use it to spawn under too.