what should i feed my pleco

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by ilike2pokypoky, Aug 9, 2015.

1. ilike2pokypokyNew MemberMember

i recently got a rubber lip pleco and tried feeding him a small slice of cucumber(i dont have anything to give him besides that), but he just swam past it. i also noticed he made a small spot of brown algae dissapear. what should i do, also i have a 29 gallon tank with 4 mollies in it.

2. AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

How long have you had it for? Most fish take a couple days until they start to eat and get comfortable. My pleco really likes algae wagers. I feed it Omega One Algae Wafers

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. ilike2pokypokyNew MemberMember

i got the pleco yesterday

4. AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

That might be it, give it a few more days and he should be eating by then

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

If they're not used to fresh veggies it sometimes takes a few tries before they realize it's food. I took about 5 before my pleco decided zuchini was edible, lol. Just keep putting veggies in, he'll figure it out eventually. I know some people poke catfish pellets or algae wafers in the vegetable slice to entice them a little bit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

6. NCE12940Well Known MemberMember

Rubbernose plecos are omnivorous so need something besides algae & veggies.

7. ilike2pokypokyNew MemberMember

could i feed the pleco frozen baby brime shrimp

8. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

9. ilike2pokypokyNew MemberMember

how big piece of cucumber should i put in i only put a very small piece of cucumber in

also when i try to put a big piece of cucumber in, it just floates up and doesnt sink

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2015
  10. CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

I cut a slice a couple of inches long & slice it lengthways, that lasts 24 hours or so.
    You can weigh it down with a stainless steel fork or spoon, you could get a screwcumber from ebay or Amazon to weigh veggies down

11. NCE12940Well Known MemberMember

Probably not very efficient as they feed along the bottom of the tank. They might find some on the substrate and eat them but it wouldn't amount to much.

12. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

It won't take one bite from the vegs. It has a totally different diet than a BN !!!!
    I feed mine bloodworm, brineshrimp, aso.
    Discussion in another thread : to me Rubberlips are 90% carnivorious.
    Try and you'll find out yourself. Great personalities scaring my Corys going for their food woehahahaha ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439232584.878511.jpg

13. fledgeNew MemberMember

I feed mine algae wafers mostly he loves them usually chases my pandas and julis away so he can have the whole wafer.

14. ilike2pokypokyNew MemberMember

ok i got algae wafers and have been putting them in for about a week before turning the lights off but he just ignores it. i am scared he might die because he hasnt eaten in five days

15. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Try the brineshrimp !!

16. ilike2pokypokyNew MemberMember

i dropped a block of brimeshrip in the tank but he didnt go for it (i dropped it before turning the lights off). all he does is stays in one spot and doesnt move much, i checked at 10 pm still in the same spot and 2 am, still in the same spot (he isnt dead because when i knock on the glass he runs away then goes back

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice